0 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2017 10:30 AM by John Alexander

Entries in GetAttachedEntityTypes and GetAttachedEntities3 do not correspond

John Alexander

I'm still working on the macro described in this post: GetVisibleEntities causes crash when type is swViewEntityType_SilhouetteEdge

I've implemented a sort of roundabout workaround that was described therein. Now the existence of silhouette edges has introduced a new problem.

Part of my macro's functionality is to update existing machine mark annotations so that they agree with the values saved into the face to which they are attached. Those values could change after the annotations are created so it is necessary to traverse all annotations and update their style (single,double, triple nabla).

This worked fine until I started inserting machine marks on silhouette edges. With marks attached to silhouette edges, I'm getting type mismatch errors.

In order to determine which face a machine mark corresponds to, I need to call Annotation::GetAttachedEntities3. This function returns an array of entities. The type of those entities is obtained by calling Entity::GetType on each entity in that array or by calling Annotation::GetAttachedEntityTypes. The latter returns an "Array of longs or integers (see Long vs. Integer) that indicate the attached entity types as defined in swSelectType_e".

The bold line in the following function is where "type mismatch" is being thrown. Clearly I am checking whether or not this is an edge before attempting to assign it to swEntity.

Public Function getExistingMark(swVisibleEdge As SldWorks.edge, existingMarks As Variant) As SldWorks.SFSymbol

Dim swAnnotation    As SldWorks.Annotation

Dim swSFSymbol      As SldWorks.SFSymbol

Dim swEntity    As SldWorks.Entity

Dim swEdge      As SldWorks.edge

Dim swAttachedEntityType    As swSelectType_e

Dim vSFSymbol   As Variant

Dim vAttachedEntityTypes    As Variant

Dim vAttachedEntity         As Variant

Dim vAttachedEntities       As Variant

Dim i As Integer

Dim which_mark As Integer

Dim oldID As Integer

Dim newID As Integer

oldID = swVisibleEdge.GetID

newID = oldID + 11

swVisibleEdge.SetId newID

Set getExistingMark = Nothing

which_mark = 0

If IsArrayAllocated(existingMarks) Then

For Each vSFSymbol In existingMarks

Set swSFSymbol = vSFSymbol

If Not swSFSymbol Is Nothing Then

Set swAnnotation = swSFSymbol.GetAnnotation

vAttachedEntityTypes = swAnnotation.GetAttachedEntityTypes

vAttachedEntities = swAnnotation.GetAttachedEntities3

If IsArrayAllocated(vAttachedEntityTypes) And IsArrayAllocated(vAttachedEntities) Then

For i = LBound(vAttachedEntityTypes) To UBound(vAttachedEntityTypes)

If vAttachedEntityTypes(i) = swSelectType_e.swSelEDGES Then

Set swEntity = vAttachedEntities(i)

Set swEdge = swEntity

If swEdge.GetID = swVisibleEdge.GetID Then

Set getExistingMark = swSFSymbol

Set existingMarks(which_mark) = Nothing

Exit For

End If

End If

Next i

End If

If Not getExistingMark Is Nothing Then

Exit For

End If

End If

which_mark = which_mark + 1

Next vSFSymbol

End If

swVisibleEdge.SetId oldID

End Function

Upon further investigation, I can see that there is no guarantee of correspondence between the types returned by GetAttachedEntityTypes and the type of the objects that are returned by GetAttachedEntities3.

a) I would expect this function to always return an array of entities. The fact that there are objects in that returned array that raise a type mismatch when I attempt to assign them to entities would indicate that the function was given the wrong name.

b) When the function manages to return actual entities, I would expect the order of entities returned to correspond to the order of types returned by the two aforementioned functions.