57 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2017 9:16 PM by Dennis Dohogne

Custom Arrowhead

Bernie Daraz

Back in my AutoCAD days and the days of the pen plotters I created this custom arrowhead. The reason for this was it was just one stroke or path for the plotter. Back then the pen would do multiple passes to fill their standard ones. The plotter would vibrate. OK, so we don't have pen plotters any more and I dislike the filled look of the standard arrows or the available standards. If you had many it was distracting, to me anyway.

In AutoCAD all you had to do was create a drawing of the arrowhead to fit the parameters.

I have searched far and wide if it would be possible to create a custom in SW and it appears to be impossible.

Haw about it SW? A truly custom arrowhead?

• Re: Custom Arrowhead
          Bernie Daraz

Sorry I forgot to attach the picture!

arrowhead.JPG

Dennis Dohogne

C'mon, Bernie Daraz, they are discontinuing teaching cursive writing in grade school.  Those folks wouldn't be able to understand this as an arrowhead!  The young whippersnappers!!

I don't know about y'all, but I'm headed to the beach tomorrow to enjoy some boogie boarding and find some shark teeth.  Happy Friday!! 

Bernie Daraz

Please cut me a little slack! I was hoping that I could have this arrowhead back. I did start in AutoCAD 10 in DOS. I had my own plotter back then. My cat used to go bonkers chasing after the pens but when they filled the arrowheads he was out of this world! LOL! But just for fun let me suggest you try a congested drawing view with the filled arrowheads and then the open ones from SW. I'm big in feng shui! Actually it's just about required!

John Stoltzfus

You guys must be old - I thought it was a bent paper clip - now you're talking cursive my old neighbor was that way at times when he talked

Have a good Boogie Dennis Dohogne 

Al Griego

Yeah, it looks like a bent paperclip. I suppose you can do that in a small shop or architectural environment, but not in a mechanical shop. Not one that has to work with other companies, anyway. That arrowhead would drive me to distraction. I've always used standard filled arrowheads, whether working with naval, aviation, oil drilling, or beverage dispensing equipment. It might be good for your feng shui, but it's not ANSI (or ASME) standard.

Bernie Daraz

Al, Way back then I had to share it a lot. Not sure about the standards that would prevent me from using it though, I will have a look. Of course as I mentioned there are probably no plotters left around. The only one I've seen lately is an E size (inkjet) and it's covered with a blanket due to a lack of drivers. We did have it running but used an XP machine as a server for the plotter.

Al Griego

We print to our workcenter for 11 X 17 prints for in house use. We don't have a large format printer. Just out of curiosity, what kind of work do you do?

Bernie Daraz

Al, we had a B size laser as well. We also had a D size inkjet plotter there. Last thing I really worked at full time was as a consultant for a firm that did railroad inspection using ultrasonics as the testing means. Before that I was a precision sheet metal guy, basically fabrication but found myself transitioning to the CAD end. AutoCAD, Pro E (2002) and then SW. More recently I am semi-retired and do projects for myself and others. I'm doing a presentation on using Solidworks for Inventors at a local college in November and have done a few at my local users group. I may be doing one there in December as well. And you?

Al Griego

I do mechanical design work. I've worked on the pumps, fans and turbines for the Iowa class battleships, subsea wellhead equipment, beverage dispensing equipment, generators, air compressors, and aircraft structures. All of the places I've worked have used standard filled arrowheads. Like I said, if you're a small shop doing your own thing, you can get away with arrowheads like that. But if you're working with the government, or with other companies, you're probably going to have to use one of the standard arrowheads. It's a neat gee-whiz thing to do, but not very practical if you're working with large corporations or trying to follow industry standards.

Bernie Daraz

I am a mechanical designer too Al. Though I did start in manufacturing. First as a mechanical engraver as that was my dads business. He later invented the thermal wire stripper and I helped him machine the parts required. It was crude by today's standards but he did license that invention and went to work for himself full time. The biggest part of success for this was the government had issued standards that no strands of any stripped wire could be damaged or removed as was common using mechanical wire strippers common to the early 60's.

During my engraving experiences I had engraved the Gold Key to the city when then President Nixon visited Stamford, I also engraved gunsight tubes for 50mm canons and worked on the first portable color camera for CBS laboratories. Some of the work I did was used by NASA or their contractors.

Later in my manufacturing career I worked in oil field exploration and was machining rather large components for this purpose. On of the lathes I ran had a chair in the carriage for the operator with a 50 ton overhead crane. The maximum speed of this lathe was 36 RPM and had a 6 foot diameter chuck. I had also rolled the formerly steel 'ribs' for the crash test dummies in their earliest iteration.

Most of my last experience was in precision sheet metal and I enjoyed that immensely. I have heli-arc welded airplanes and race cars together and have a patented invention for race cars that was used in the mid 80's. A subsequent change in the design of those cars (NASCAR modifieds) obviated my design. A later patent I had allowed but never formalized was obviated by a change in the design of cell phones from the flip design to the current 'tablet' design.

Now I refer to myself as 'semi-retired' and enjoy offering my experiences here on the forums with my peers. I am giving a presentation at a local college for an inventors group in November on Solidworks for Inventors. I will also be participating in a tips and tricks presentation at my local users group meeting this Thursday (June 15) at MasterCAM headquarters here in CT. I understand the president of SW is scheduled to be there.

Paul Salvador

Hello Al,.... well,.. that arrow I posted was used on the majority of my design drawings for DOD contracts or per DOD-STD-100 and/or what was then the description or combo of Mil-Std and Ansi Y14 .

Al Griego

Yes, I've seen that arrowhead before, but it was a long time ago. I think I was still working with Anvil 1000 at the time. But the one that Bernie posted is different from that.

Dennis Dohogne

Al Griego wrote:

Yes, I've seen that arrowhead before, but it was a long time ago. I think I was still working with Anvil 1000 at the time. But the one that Bernie posted is different from that.

I just saw an article "celebrating" 35 years of ACAD.  They did not make any reference to Anvil, but Anvil was really the first (or at least among the first) CAD systems and it spawned ACAD.  But then, the magazine might be owned or at least dominantly sponsored by Autodesk.

You must be older than me to have actually used Anvil 1000, plus you must have been working with a company on the cutting edge, at least at the time.

Al Griego

I'm in my 50's. I used Anvil in the late 80's when I lived in CA. I learned AutoCAD in school, and then learned Anvil on the job. It was a great system, far better than ACAD for mechanical design. Back in '95, when the company I was working at was looking at moving from a 2D (AutoCAD) to 3D system, Anvil was one of the systems I looked at, but we ended up going with Unigraphics v10.4. What a long, strange trip it's been.

Dan Pihlaja

Bernie Daraz wrote:

Al, Way back then I had to share it a lot. Not sure about the standards that would prevent me from using it though, I will have a look. Of course as I mentioned there are probably no plotters left around. The only one I've seen lately is an E size (inkjet) and it's covered with a blanket due to a lack of drivers. We did have it running but used an XP machine as a server for the plotter.

See pages 8 and 10 of ASME Y14.2M 2008

Bernie Daraz

According to the standard it doesn't specifically exclude my old design. Then it does show 4 styles, I would be satisfied to be number 5. LOL!

3 ARROWHEADS

Arrowheads are used to terminate dimension, leader, and cutting and viewing plane lines (see paras. 2.9.1,2.9.3, and 2.10). Arrowhead length and width should be a ratio of approximately 3:1. The width of the arrowhead should be proportionate to the thickness of the lines

used. A single style of arrowhead shall be used throughout the drawing (see Fig. 12).

My GD&T training was back in 2002, I really don't use GD&T but have kept the books from the course.

Thank you!

S. Casale

Dan,

Don't get yourself in trouble by sharing the standard on line in public. ASME s pretty big on copyright stuff.

Rick McDonald

I have 2 plotters. one E size Ink Jet and one C size Felt Pen Plotter.

The inkjet one is used as a place to put some plants and books.

The felt pen one is acting just as a shelf to store stuff and collect dust. Have lots of extra pens - but I'm sure they are all dried out by now (haven't checked them for about 15 years)

Keep planning to bring then to Goodwill to get them out of my way but don't really think they will take them either.

I did recently even find all the documentation and drivers for the ink Jet one. 

I need to check with the local "MakersSpace" - maybe they can resurrect them or use them for parts,  or to teach the young kids how things used to be!

Dennis Dohogne

Rick McDonald wrote:

I have 2 plotters. one E size Ink Jet and one C size Felt Pen Plotter.

The inkjet one is used as a place to put some plants and books.

The felt pen one is acting just as a shelf to store stuff and collect dust. Have lots of extra pens - but I'm sure they are all dried out by now (haven't checked them for about 15 years)

Keep planning to bring then to Goodwill to get them out of my way but don't really think they will take them either.

I did recently even find all the documentation and drivers for the ink Jet one.

I need to check with the local "MakersSpace" - maybe they can resurrect them or use them for parts, or to teach the young kids how things used to be!

It's funny how big plotters were the range and the requirement.  With the advent of laser printers a lot of us have converted everything to a max size of 11" x 17", if paper prints are even used.  Some places just pull up the drawing files on a screen.

Rick, perhaps a robotics club would be interested in those.  They are great 2-axis Cartesian units.  They might keep the motors and controls, but use a different driving software.

Jim Steinmeyer

We actually still use some C size and more D size prints here. But then we are working on larger livestock feeding equipment. If we didn't have the D size plotter I imagine we would break our weldments down to fit the smaller sheets better.

I once worked at a place where the president was slightly a control freak and had decided that 11x17 paper was enough more expensive than 8-1/2x11 that we had to go to him personally and get a sheet every time we wanted to print on 11x17. But then he was retired Military Intelligence, and you know the saying about Military Intelligence..... it was true in his case.

Rick McDonald

That is along the lines of why I thought of the local  "Makerspace" would be good (there are several around the country). That is where we now hold our user group meetings and Makerspace is a place that covers a wide range of tech or craft type areas.  I saw a few plotters there of the same vintage and if nothing else, mine could be good for parts.  Yours is a good suggestion if they don't want my plotters.

I had not heard of them before we moved our meetings there and on the first night we got a full tour of the place and it took an hour.

It's a place anyone can go and do different crafts, learn ... They even have training classes for many of the things.

Dennis Dohogne

Old is a relative term, John.  I should know, I've been saying that for years decades!

Boogie is a word from the '70's, the BEST decade for music!!

The Big Chill (1983)  (What a GREAT movie!)

Michael: Harold, don't you have any other music, you know, from this century?

Harold: There is no other music, not in my house.

Michael: There's been a lot of terrific music in the last ten years.

Harold: Like what?

Dennis Dohogne

John Stoltzfus wrote:

now you're talking cursive my old neighbor was that way at times when he talked

John, maybe I'm related to that neighbor of yours.  I've also been known to suffer from tourette syndrome of the hand, but that has mellowed quite a bit.  Now I just wave all the fingers and tell them it is a multiple choice question.  Makes 'em think a bit. 

Bjorn Hulman

I like it, looks way better that current available arrows! I'd sneak it into the company templates pronto.

Dan Pihlaja

I thought it was a hand drawn pic of an old roadster:

LOL

I did a quick search and found absolutely nothing.

Best thing I can think of is add a block.  Show the dimension with no arrow and add the block to it later.   Personally I wouldn't do it though.

Tom Helsley

Looks like it could be someone's logo .

Chris Saller

I have been doing drafting for ~40 years and never seen that arrowhead.

Bernie Daraz

Chris, I hadn't seen it before either. It was just something that popped into my head after hearing my plotter go nuts to fill the arrows so I made it happen. I can't remember how many asked me to share it. I have been in manufacturing for 40 years, mostly machining and precision sheet metal. I remember drafting class and still have a few triangles and a few Berol tracing guides for symbols. I had a chance to get a drafting machine maybe 20 years ago and I passed. My buddy has it now but doesn't use it. How life and manufacturing have changed over the last 10 years.

Scott Stuart

Nothing's impossible, but from what I can gather the arrowhead resources are imbedded in a dll, so it would require compiling a custom dll. These appear to be the ones involved in the drawing annotations:

Capture.PNG

Bernie Daraz

I do remember hearing the name Anvil, but I heard of Cadkey first around that time. I know the guys that developed the 'hardware' software protection lock for them and others, they were based in Stamford CT. It was called a dongle and plugged into the parallel port. They later sold the company to Rainbow software and they were bought by someone else. I met one of the partners in a bar (Brock's) in Stamford, the guy was bombed and complaining about a testing procedure. In effect he was saying that every time the part worked he had to restart the computer. he mentioned the term UART. I knew what his issue was right away and told him. I shared an office with them and they did some of the first development of the product on my computer. I did have some electronics training back then but I'm glad I left the field. It is a thousand years ahead of where I left it! LOL!