5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2017 9:48 AM by Bill McEachern

How do I make a mesh from split lines on tubing?

Justin Taco

I am trying to simulate a chassis with a 5g loading 35 cm from the ground with a length of 10 cm. I have set up split lines at where I want the 5g force. However, I have not been able to get the mesh to work properly. The meshing always fails around the split lines on the tubing. I have tried mesh control and adjusting for finer meshes, but still one tube will fail (I used split lines for three tubes).
      Even when I was able to get the mesh to work correctly, I ran into an error that the beam is not properly bonded to the shell/solid. I do not have that file, but I like to know how to solve the meshing problem. I am pretty new to simulation and any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Re: How do I make a mesh from split lines on tubing?
          Siavash Khajehhasani

Hello Justin,

First, suppress the mesh control. Then trying to mesh, you will find out that some bodies are interfering to each other.

To check the interference, insert your multi-body part into an assembly and run an interference detection as follows:

You must get rid of the interference first, in order to be able to perform FEA analysis in SW Sim.

PS1. if you could get rid of some of the solid bodies in your simulation (which I guess you cannot, as you have that split face to apply load) your life could be much easier using all beam element.

PS2. why blended curvature based mesh? my suggestion: curvature-based mesh work well in most cases.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Siavash

• Re: How do I make a mesh from split lines on tubing?
            Bill McEachern

I am not going to spend the time to read the whole thread with rigor, or examine the model- haven't got he time - so forgive me if I missed the subtlety of why you have to do it with solid elements. I see no reason why you can't do the required analysis with beam elements. If you are trying to a "g" load it is usually using gravity which would be easy to implement. If you want to apply some load at a point, you need a joint "ball" and for that you need to split a beam (i.e. split body) to get a joint, if you want it over some length of a beam, you split the body to get the length of beam you want and then apply the load. Supposedly in the manual you can use a reference point to apply a load at (near) a given location and it might work for a single point. I n my experience though for multiple points it would often miss behave. Maybe they have fixed it up.

You still have to mesh with beam elements though it is considerable easier and the part interferences don't really matter then.