11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2018 8:34 AM by Jim Sculley

Error when opening files "the parameter is incorrect"

Robert Carlile

We just started getting this error from people that have closed and re-opened SolidWorks, nothing that I know of has been changed that I'm aware of. I'm not sure where to start looking at this point

• Re: Error when opening files "the parameter is incorrect"
          Robert Carlile

I have tried rebooting, that was the first thing the user tested - I've also tried to rename the registry file, then re-running solidworks to check if it was a setting that was changed, the error still occurs when it's set back to default.

Dave Bear

Hi Robert,

A bit more information might be helpful here.

What version and SP of SolidWorks are you using?

What are the computer specs and OS?

Has the computer done any updates recently that you are aware of?

Has anyone had access to that machine that shouldn't have?

Is it only SolidWorks that is affected?

The more information, the better.

Dave.

Robert Carlile

Apologies, I'm new to the company and still learning things here, but the issue has been resolved:

Apparently when using solidworks and PDM files can become corrupt and the date for either the start or end can be changed to 1969. I don't know why that is significant but that's the date. In order to correct the issue there are two scripts that need to be run within the SQL database to find the files and repair them.

Thanks for the help, sorry for the delayed response!!

Rick McDonald

Sounds like you are on 2017 since you have corrupt file problems.

I am on 2015 so can't test anything related to 2017, but this is the first time I have seen (in forum postings) a date change as being the result / cause of the corruption.

If you had the problem, someone else is likely to have the problem at some time also.

Could you post your spec's as Dave Bear suggested.  That way if people see this problem they will have a better feel for the required fix.

Also, this sounds like a bug where the files became corrupted for unknown reason - but you have found the corruption.  You should get this information to your VAR so they can create a SPR.

I'm sure all the information you can supply to the users here in the forum and to your VAR will be much appreciated.

Robert Carlile

It's hard to determine who or how the file got corrupt. I'm not sure of the specs of the machines as there are 15 total. This issue caused a halt to all production, everyone using Solidworks and EPDM ended up with the issue. It started with only those that had a file freeze or lock up (unknown as to why) so they closed out and restarted their machine. After half the team was down, we decided to reboot the servers, when the reboot occurred and everyone was out of the system, the error was being thrown by all the users. We got in contact with our support at go engineer and they are the ones that determined this was the issue. Here is the response, hope this helps:

What could cause the error "parameter is incorrect" when opening any SolidWorks files from a SolidWorks Enterprise PDM vault from the File, Open
                        dialog of SolidWorks?

The error "parameter is incorrect" can be caused by incorrect date values stored in the projects database table of the Enterprise PDM vault.

If for some reason, one or more projects has a Deadline or StartTime or both with a date value of 1969 then the issue will occur.

To determine whether you have the problem, run the query "DetectWrongDatesInProjectsTable.sql" attached in SQL Management Studio.

If the query returns a count greater than or equal to 1, then this is the cause.

To repair the database, the query "RepairDatesInProjectsTable.sql" attached can then be executed.

The reason for the invalid dates has not been found. SPR 603582 documents reported cases of this.

Rick McDonald

Have you run the .sql's that they suggested? Has the problem been resolved?

It looks like they are saying it is a problem in the PDM system, which makes sense since all systems are connected to it.

Just a thought - there have been reports of antivirus programs that cause glitches in systems and maybe there is something with a antivirus setting that caused a file corruption.

If it does not solve the problem I would disconnect the workstations from the server the PDM is on and try opening local files and see if the problem is only when connected to the PDM server.  That would at least isolate the problem to the server.

Jim Sculley

Robert Carlile wrote:

Apologies, I'm new to the company and still learning things here, but the issue has been resolved:

Apparently when using solidworks and PDM files can become corrupt and the date for either the start or end can be changed to 1969. I don't know why that is significant but that's the date.

1969 is significant because in the computing world, time began on January 1, 1970.  Basically, the corrupt files have an invalid date, so the default behavior is to show 1969 to indicate the date is invalid.

Rick Freeman

The same file on a server, copied to a local drive, does open in the local drive.  Also, take any sldprt file from a local drive that does open normally and transfer it to a NAS drive and you get the "incorrect parameter" error.  Something about SW's that doesn't like NAS drives.

Jim Sculley

From the KnowledgeBase:

=======================

Solution Id:S-011168

Product:SolidWorks Office Professional 2007

Created:10/12/2006

Technically Reviewed Date:3/15/2017

Area:Save/Open

Sub-Area:Part

Question:Why do I get the error message "parameter is incorrect" while saving and reopening a file on a network-attached storage (NAS) drive?

Answer:

SOLIDWORKS® does not officially support the use of NAS drives with our software.

Please contact the technical support team of the NAS drive vendor for help with this issue.

Vladimir Urazhdin

I have HI from SW:

ERROR.JPG

every day and many times per day. Just ignore it, click OK and forget as soon as possible.