4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2017 7:51 AM by Aaron Hayden

Parts displaying black and white checker

Aaron Hayden

I am working on a study and ran into something new. Some of the components are displaying a black and white checkered pattern. They don't display this way in modeling, only in simulation. What is this and how do I make it go away? It's driving my eyes crazy (it's a short trip I know). See attached pic.

• Re: Parts displaying black and white checker
          Wayne Schafer

Try editing appearance

Capture.JPG

Aaron Hayden

I've tried removing all appearances with no success. The checkered pattern disappears until I save the file then it reappears. Also, this checkered pattern only shows in the study tabs, not the model tab.

Keith Frankie

Do you have a custom material assigned within the simulation environment?  These can carry their own appearances that won't be shown in the 'model' tab.

Post your CAD file if you can.

Aaron Hayden

The issue was indeed a result of a custom material. If I RMC'ed the material in the study and edited the appearances it was using the checkered jpeg for the texture. Strangely, when I edited the custom material itself the texture was set to wrought iron, not checkered. I changed the default appearance to matte steel and the checkered pattern finally went away. How/why it chose to show that pattern I will never know.

Previous to this I tried removing all appearances in every possible way I knew of. The checkered pattern would go away, however, after a series of control-q's and saves the pattern would come right back. I also changed the jpeg to something other than checkered, but it also would reset itself after control-q's and saves.

Currently, in the model tab the children of a patterned cut show a different appearance than the rest of the body. Again, I have tried to remove all appearances in every way possible, but eventually it goes back to displaying different appearances. I would say that appearances/textures are cumbersome, if not buggy. At this point I have declared a stalemate. The model has this weird two tone thing going on, but at least I don't have to look at that terrible checkered pattern anymore.