87 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2017 10:33 AM by Peter De Vlieger

draftsight 2017 activation

Douglas Baker

I have installed Draftsight 2017 SP2 on two different Windows 7 machines and neither one will activate. When you complete the activation information and hit OK the screen flashes and the Draftsight closes. No email ever arrives. I have removed and installed the software multiple times. I have deleted the SWactivation key in the registry a couple of times. Each time you open Draftsight the activation window comes up. You complete the information and click OK and the same thing happens. The screen flashes and the software closes.

• Re: draftsight 2017 activation
          Dave Bear

Hi Douglas,

Please read ALL of the following thread. DraftSight – Important Critical Hotfix (February 2017)

It has important information that will most likely help you resolve your issue.

Dave.

Sean Gallagher

I have tried to install draftsight 2017 sp2 on two different windows 7, 64bit machines. Neither one would open after install. I was not even able to get to the activation part. I have since installed SP0 (I still had the installer downloaded) and ran the hotfix after install. Now draftsight works on those two computers. Not sure if it is a SP2 issue, or the current installer.

Dusan Ryu

I had the same problem.

If you use ip router, connect directly to the internet without router.

Ryan Taylor

I am having the same issue with Windows 10 64 bit, Draftsight 2017 SP2. Added firewall exception, delted SWactivation key in regedit. Still no solution. Please help! 

Rick McDonald

Ryan,

Also look at https://forum.solidworks.com/message/723156#comment-723156  and see if the suggestions there are any help to fix the problem.

Some things have worked.

This seems to be a big problem and I have seen no response from SWX on this yet.

Sean Gallagher

Ryan, have you tried to install Draftsight 2017 SP0 or SP1 and then fun the hotfix? I was able to install SP0, run the hotfix, and access draftsight. This is the only way I was able to install draftsight on a new computer. I still think it may be an issue with SP2.

Spratek Spratek

Hi, I had the same problem, here is the solution that worked for me:

1) Uninstal Draftsight 2017 SP2

2) Clean registry (I used CCleaner)

3) Then install DraftSight 2017 SP1 (download here DraftSight (64-bit) - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com)

4) and activate

Perhaps it helps somebody.

Wayne Schafer

I might have an answer for you.  I was having the same problem here and this is how it was solved.  I went to the location shown below on my C drive  and double click where the arrow is shown.  The activation screen poped up.  Fill it out and click activate, a finish screen will pop up and click finish.  In about 30 seconds you will get an email.  It wil tell you what to check. After that click you desk top shortcut and you in.

Capture.JPG

Bob Schrempp

I have the same issue, I have been using SP2 with the hotfix for 6 or 7 months. Just today my system stopped running. Same thing as others, run Draftsight, re-activation pops up, yes active, fill in activation information, click activate button. DraftSight starts to launch, they fails and closes.

Did the above "fix" by running DraftSight from "C:\Program Files\Dassault Systemes\DraftSight\bin\DraftSight.exe". It looked like it was going to do the same thing, it asked all the activation questions. But this one then sent an email with a link to finish the activation.

DraftSight is working again.

Thank You Spratek Spratek

Bob Schrempp

Prawn Designs

Rick McDonald

Yesterday I started Draftsight (2017 x64 SP3) and the splash screen cam up and then the activation screen (Free version).  This was not the simple little re-enter your email and go - it was a full reactivation - email, password, company info... 5 or 6 lines.

I had not seen this before (or in years).

I didn't want to have it crash like so many have.

I just clicked the X on the top of the box to cancel and Draftsight opened right up without any problems.

ran it all day.

Now, this morning:

clicked the activate:

Clicked the

and it went back to the previous activate screen

Clicked the

on that screen and it opened. with no problem.

Closed the instance and clicked the desktop icon and it wanted me to activate again.

Closed and tried opening by double clicking a .dwg file I made yesterday and still wants me to activate.

As of this moment, I have never had a problem with it crashing after doing an activation - but with all the problems people are having I'm nervous.

I am going to bite the bullet and fill in the activation form and try it.

EDIT:

Tried it - filled out my information and

clicked OK and CRASH

Tried

"C:\Program Files\Dassault Systemes\DraftSight\bin\DraftSight.exe"

and also instant crash.

Update:

still no luck, Tried the methods that Bob Schrempp and Tom Preda suggested with no luck.

tried activating several times and using a couple different email accounts - no e-mails (and have never in the past needed or received emails to activate the free version).

Also did a full power down re-boot and also checked my compatibility was as administrator.

checked my task manager and made sure no draftsight instances were running and went into the registry and checked my email was correct for swx activation as Artur Potopianek suggested.

Rick McDonald

I have restored my Draftsight to operational mode - but it still asks to reactivate.

I got lucky in that last night my system had a Windows Update performed - which creates a restore point.

I restored to that restore point and I am back in business with Draftsight.

In the future I will (if I remember) create restore points more often and especially before attempting to activate Draftsight.

In Windows 7: Start -> Control Panel -> System and Security -> System

On the left pane click on System Security and a popup box will appear.

Near the bottom of the box, click on the "Create" button - name the file something descriptive (I used the date and a note - "after Draftsight restore" and then created it.

Now if I crash it again I can restore to that point.  When I have more time or get enormously frustrated again with the activation message I will create another restore point and play with it more.

Bottom line: make a restore point before you activate!

Warning:  be careful when using an old restore point as it will remove any settings or programs that you have installed since you created that restore point  -  This is the reason it is good to periodically make restore points - especially after a new program install or changes to your system so they will be more up to date if you do need to use them.

Peter De Vlieger

From all that I have tried myself and read on these and other forums, it's pretty clear that there isn't a sole true solution to fix it for everyone.

Having to use a windows restore point to get a free program to work..... *sigh*.... well one has to do what one has to do I suppose but you got to admit that is kind of messed up.

Thomas Jansen

Hi,

I resolved the issue with adding the website of 3ds.com to the trusted websites.

After that I was able to activate again and use Draftsight!

Hope this is helpfull for you guys.

Regards,

Thomas Jansen

Josip Josipovic

We are still struggling to activate Draftsight 2017 SP2 or SP1 on many computer at our organization.

We have tried all things in this forum. We have contacted our VAR and they were kind enough to help try some things as well.

Any more help would be appreciated

Ryan Taylor

After much anguish, I found my old 2015 install file. Installed and then ran the hotfix. This is the ONLY solution I have found is to go back in time. At least I have working 2D CAD now. I guess I'll wait it out for Dassault to fix this.

Rodney Bame

I have this same issue.  Very frustrating. 

Dan Schleicher

Doug,

After you clean the registry of Draftsight, I usually go through all the profiles and get rid of all the old draftsight subdirectories on the appdata. They will be under "Local" and "Roaming". This might clean it up. Sometimes an old program is on another profile.

Rodney Bame

Right click on the icon to launch the program and click run as administrator.  This bug needs to be fixed.

Douglas Baker

I connected my phone via hotspot to my desktop and disconnected from my office network connection. I was able to activate my Draftsight 2017 SP2.

Jake Bloomfield

Hi All,

I'm still having issues with DraftSight 2017 SP2 x64 (and SP1 for that matter). I've added 3ds.com to trusted sites (via GPO) and I've also done what Robert suggest whereby you change the 'Start from' folder to a user writable directory. Unfortunately, none of these options work.. even tried running the application as admin.

The only thing I haven't tried is connecting directly to the internet.. unfortunately, this isn't an option for my environment as we are a SME with a dedicated network with security. No other applications seem to exhibit this behavior. Can anyone else suggest a different fix?

Thanks

Travis Figgins

Please visit this link and follow the directions. I had the same problem and it worked for me.

https://swym.3ds.com/#post:42506

Jake Bloomfield

Didn't work I'm afraid

Travis Figgins

Might want to get IT to check to make sure your Firewall is not blocking the software. They might need to add permissions to it to keep it from blocking the application. These are all the steps that I had to go through in order to get the activation screen to appear. As for DS responding, good luck, its the free version and they don't support it. I am sorry that nothing is working for you, do you still have a copy of 2016 draftsight? if so try running that and see if it pops up for you. I would definitely make sure your firewall is not blocking anything 1st. Disable it and see if you can get it to work. If so you know it will need permissions.

Thank you

Jake Bloomfield

Hi Travis,

I am IT haha.. IT Manager of the company to be exact. The application is definitely unblocked, as previous versions have worked and nothing has changed since. I've disabled my firewall to be sure to no avail.

My activation screen is appearing, but when you enter the correct information to register for activation, the applications flashes up for half a second and then closes. Nothing in task manager.. and no registration email comes through.

I don't have an older version unfortunately - you don't have a copy at all by chance?

Cheers,

Jake

Dan Schleicher

Douglas Baker,

Go into the registry. Go to hkey_current_user/software\swactivation. Add -Old behind it. Close Registry. Try to open Draftsight again. The registration should pop up.

Jackie Yip

I believe this is a problem with the DraftSight server. At 2PM CT, it worked just fine but after trying it again at 3PM CT, it didn't work and like other users said, the screen will flash after hitting activate and the program will close.

I only tested it on my computer after deleting the registry key and trying it again. I just had a customer who just tried it and it didn't work, so they missed the window where it did work.

Mike Zupkofska

I moved the installation file out of my download folder and installed it from another folder. Worked fine from there!

Alex Doran

I believe it is important to be running as an admin, i add firewall exceptions for draftsight.exe & k2lichelper.exe, disable AV protection and then launch draftsight, the emails usually always come through, have done nearly 20 installs this way on our corporate network.

Alex

Steve Calvert

I just downloaded and installed the 2017 version (I'm on SW2015) and it worked perfectly.

Steve C

Eric Browning

Same issue here. Installed and after activation click OK and it crashes...

Dan Schleicher

Eric,

Remember, this has to be Draftsight SP1 or later. If not, you will have to use the draftsight fix.

Jackie Yip

So after helping two of my customers out, I finally figured out what the REAL issue is....

If you install 2017 SP1 or 2017 SP2, there's a small chance it will crash after trying to activate.

Solution: Install 2017 SP0 or earlier and apply the hotfix, it will work.

Rick McDonald

So then after you installed 2017 sp0 (or earlier) & applied the Hotfix, did you then just upgrade to 2017 SP1 or SP2?

Or did you uninstall and then install the 2017 SP1 or SP2 and the  SP1 or SP2 will run fine ?

Was this the full version or the free version?

Just trying to get a full understanding so others can follow the exact procedure to fix the problem.

It would seem from this that the 2017 SP1 or SP2 is not properly applying the certificate that the Hotfix was supposed to update.

Eric Browning

The only issue is you can't find version 2017 SP0 anywhere on the net. I had to settle for V1R4 which is basically 2013 version..... But I did get it to work after the Hotfix was installed. They need to fix this issue....

Michael Renner

Tried updating my Windows 7 x64 laptop to DraftSight 2017 SP2 from an older version, then activating/registering the Free version, not the 30-day trial of the Professional. That processed failed at work, though could find no entries in the Windows Firewall as being blocked locally. Tried activating at home but the same results. Tried the uninstall, folder clean-up, registry clean-up, etc. Then installed DraftSight 2017 SP0 (which I had previously downloaded, but never installed at the time), applied the 2017 Hot Fix, then tried to activate, but encountered the same results.

This should not be that difficult and Dassault has had ample knowledge and time to address.

Martin Dinsmore

I was having the same problem.  Fixed by:

1)  Un-installing DraftSight

2)  Right-click on the downloaded install file (DraftSight64.exe, downloaded today) and click Run as administrator

3)  Filled out form as before but this time received message telling me an activation email was sent

4)  Retrieved email from spam filter and clicked the link provided to complete activation process

I do not know if step 1 was necessary but did it to start fresh from previous users attempts.

I hope this works for you.

Martin

Peter De Vlieger

Gift horse and all that jazz...nonetheless, DS is an unstable mess concerning getting it to run. And there's no official help at all to be gotten not unless you pay for it.

Just had a colleague who isn't able to even get to the register screen. All it does is flash the splash screen and that's it. I've tried all and sundry, including uininstalling, cleaning register and anything else I could find mentioned by anyone but all did as much good as would lighting a candle and asking for intervention by Cthulhu

So Draftsight 2017 SP3 still can't get it's brown matter together. Not exactly something for DS to boast about. Never thought I miss the times of the 2d Editor.

Alex Doran

Peter,

I echo your response, after having previously got all my users up and running, one by one they are dropping off, DS will eventually just, as you say - flash open and then close again, even on installs that were previously working fine, i've uninstalled, eradicated DS from the PC and removed all registry entries, including the infamous SWActivation one; still no joy.

One user even bought his own Windows 10 x64 laptop in so that we could install on there so he could use it, even on a fresh install you get the same problem, i honestly don't know why this is so difficult for the dev's to fix.

I also do not understand the persistence of having to register and activate the free version of the product, and then continually have to re-active it several months down the line, a cheap tactic to try and push a professional license sale i guess. Utterly pointless having to register a free product.

Im now searching for cheap (and old) AutoCad licenses to try and get my users up and running again, i refuse to pay professional DS license fee's as i'm worried about being plagued with issues.

Alex

Peter De Vlieger

Alex,

Besides, for the price they are asking for the Draftsight 'Enterprise' version one would be better of with Bricscad which has a far more comprehensive LISP coverage not to mention a far superior support structure.

If it's free you want, there's several free legal alternatives to Draftsight, even some opensource ones.

Andrew Rhodes

Don't know if this is of use, but I had a lot of trouble getting DraughtSight to run (free version) - I had the familiar open for 0.5 seconds then shut down. The following worked for me -

Don't open draughsight using the normal windows command - go to a drawing you can open in draughtsight (eg .dwg), right click and select "open with". If draughsight isn't listed, then browse to the draughtsight.exe file (usually in c:/program files/dassault systemes/bin folder). Select draughsight with "open with". When it runs, you will get the message that an email has been sent - open this and activate. Worked for me!

Artur Potopianek

I had the same problem - installed Draftsight 2017 SP3 - (installed as administrator). When I went to the activation process - type all the information and nothing - windows will close and I will have no emails and Draftsight want open - activation window over and over again. Then I went to Windows regedit and find SWActivation - in the sub folder I have checked my email address. Then the next step was Task Manager - on the background processes I have find Drafsight application process - so I ended that task. I have started Drafsight - and activation process kicked again- typed in all information and  this time you have nice thank you windows - email came straight away so activation process could be completed. Worked for me !!!

Dan Schleicher

Artur,

Glad it worked out for you.

Tom Preda

Had similar problems with Draftsight, friggin' pain in the butt. Would flash as if to open and crash, uninstalled and re-installed about 20 times, cleaned out all folders, and registry entries related. Draftsight 2017 sp3 free version to clarify, kept filling out email request for activation, no email, eventually got an email reply, clicked to activate, NOTHING!! In the end, deleted shortcut from desktop and public folder, just right click, open file location, delete it. Went to C:\Program Files\Dassault Systemes\DraftSight\bin Draftsight.exe, right click and create new desktop shortcut. Went through the activation request process AGAIN!! Now i use gmail account, this time i used a different account, windows live account, or outlook account should do, even those temporary 24 hour accounts you can set up may do, (google that). Received email confirmation, click, and voila, WORKING! About time, i missed breakfast and lunch with my head buried in this.

Jackie Yip

BTW to all, here's are a couple of SPR's on this issue:

1008993

We get many Request because of Activation Issues for the Free version in 2017 SP0/1

1033375

DraftSight activation remains in loop after clicking 'Activate' (FREE VERSION UNABLE TO ACTIVATE)

Bear in mind, I don't work for DS, so I don't have any knowledge of what works and what doesn't. Basically, if it works it works. If it doesn't, the fix is to try and see if any of the above solutions work based on the feedback others have posted.

Matthew Theakstone

ive done several things in the past and the only one that worked was to uninstall create a new account and re install draftsight. Which is a huge pain when you're in the workshop on the plasma unit with no wifi.

recently had draftsight crash every time i hit file or save or even tried to open a file, however that seems to have repaired itself after a week of the same issue.

Rajeev Rohatgi

After going through all the answers in these forums (thanks, guys!), this is what worked for me on the latest version (SP3):

1. Set up https://www.3ds.com as a trusted site in Internet Options

2. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Dassault Systemes\DraftSight\bin and run Draftsight.exe as Administrator. This pops up the 'Activate' window, and the process goes through properly this time (rather than the 'flash-window-and-close' which was occurring previously). I didn't even have to disable my AV, MBAM, and other running security programs.

The above two steps let to me getting my activation email, after which I was able to activate.

Hope this helps someone!

Fabio Bertoldo

Rajeev, which operating system are you running, Windows 7 or Windows 10?

Thank you,

Rick McDonald

What also surprises me is that there never used to be any email return, just put in the information, hit send and your were done and in Draftsight.  I think originally (very first time only) there was more of a list of questions to answer and then you were activated - then every 6 months or so it asked you to enter your email to reactivate (one line and submit) and you were done. No reply email, no waiting- you were immediately activated.  Seemed more of a method to see if you were still using it every 6 months or so.

Now it seems you need a reply email after you activate (or try to) and then you answer the email (I  am guessing because I have "Never" had to wait for and reply to an email as best as I can remember).

I just checked and I DO have "http://www.3ds.com" set as a trusted site,

but I notice you have listed "https://www.3ds.com" as the trusted site.

I am going to add that "Secure" web address - maybe it will help.

I also do NOT have the check box checked for the "Require server verification ....".

Don't know if this is needed or not.

Adriaan Debergh

Been having this problem too last few days, this is what solved it for me:

my account was appearently not yet fully activated on the forum/site of Solidworks. I completed the account setup, got confirmation mail to activate my account. After this, I started Draftsight, was asked for registration but this time I did get the confirmation email and now everything works again.

Richard Lundy

Seems like a crap shoot. I remember having this problem before and when I started DS yesterday It happened again. This morning after a couple fill in the info attempts uninstall/re-install go rounds I uninstalled, deleted all the DS files in the registry and then finally was able to get the activation e-mail so at least right now I am good. I am wondering if this is somehow related to installing SW2017 SP4.1? Had a lot of goofy things happen since I did that.

Rick McDonald

I'm still on SW2015 SP5 and have the problem (only since installing Draftsight 2017), so it is not just with SW2017.

I have been using Draftsight 2017 SP3 (after going through SP0, SP1 and the hotfix and SP2)  It never crashed on me before SP3.  I also don't think I ever got the activate messages (that required the company info and other info)(just the email address and go) and never had problems until this week.

In  a few weeks when things quiet down at work I will try to dig in deeper and try some of the registry cleaning methods to see if that will relieve the issues - but in the meantime, When it asks you to reactivate - just click the red X not the activate and it will open without problems - just have to do it every time you open an instance of Draftsight.

I have been in touch with someone who has had contact (don't know if direct or indirect) with the Draftsight development people and they have not (as of the last time I discussed it with him a couple months ago) found a solution.

But the fixes others have found by cleaning the registry and my doing a restore point to clear the crash problem show it is very likely a registry issue.

Richard Lundy

Just heard back from our re-seller tech support and for people like me that weren't having any problems until the middle of this week they think it is somehow related to a Windows update. I did install an update on Wednesday and prior to then I was having no problem. He said he had a couple other customers with the same problem yesterday and they ended up doing what I did to get DS working again.

Rick McDonald

That sounds very plausible since my system did a windows update and the next morning is when I had the message to activate and that was the activation that was different then previous (email only activation messages) and caused my crash.

I restored my system to prior to the windows update and got it working again.

I believe the Windows update had downloaded and installed again (not sure) but since then I have only canceled the activation message.

David Duren

I finally got my Draftsight to activate..  I think what REALLY worked was to activate under a different email address and maybe the other data.

But to let everyone know the whole sequence, I uninstalled DS, deleted the SYSTEM files for Dassault, Deleted the registry items for Dassault and SWACTIVATION.

Downloaded a new version (SP3).. Set it to run as ADMINISTRATOR, then installed it (for the 6th time) !!!

Then when the activation window came up again. I entered a different email address, a different industry, a different country, and a different job title. I think I entered this same alternate email address on the 2nd reinstall, but I'm not sure at this point.  I DO know I always used my real industry, country and title, so it could have a been any of that stuff that made it not work.  Very frustrating..

Dan Schleicher

David,

I believe it is the different email address that usually does the trick if everything else fails.

Rick McDonald

I had tried 3 different email when my had crashed and none of them let it restore - but that was before I did the roll back.

I have heard that the Draftsight registration servers have been inundated with tens of thousands of activation requests this year - much higher than previous years.  I suggested that this is probably due to so many failed attempts and repeat attempts.

I was informed that the Draftsight database did not contain my email address that I initially activated with - I have found and sent them a copy of my initial activation reply from years ago.  Have not heard back yet.

I don't think this is the problem with my attempt to activate though, because our internet here has been slow for some time (especially uploads) and the Draftsight activation process crashed milliseconds after I hit the submit button - so I doubt anything ever even got sent out. The problem seems to be some setting in the local computer that is not getting set - or reset properly.

At least I do know they are working on it.

Peter De Vlieger

Rick McDonald wrote:

I have heard that the Draftsight registration servers have been inundated with tens of thousands of activation requests this year - much higher than previous years.

So you would think that instead of making it more difficult that they would make it easier.

But no, instead of just sending of the registering email now you even have to wait until you get a confirmation email and then confirm that.

And what's with all the data collecting? Do they really think that by now the vast majority hasn't given up on filling in the 'correct' information and now click whatever in it? I sure don't anymore. I bet that they are amazed how many aeronautical designers from Armenia are using Draftsight.

Karl Motherwell

Credit to lorenzo delana on the DraftSight support boards for this which worked for me:

https://swym.3ds.com/#community:70/iquestions:34658

Note: I installed the same version DraftSight 2017 SP2 in two Windows 10 versions ( desktop and laptop ) ; in my laptop everything works fine, but in my desktop it was continue to ask me for activation and then disappears.I already tried workaround such as delete AppData/Roaming/DraftSight and/or regedit removal of SWActivation but it not worked. Follow solution it's a workaround I found myself, I don't know why, but it works. Seems that in some situation Draftsight creates a Ready key but not the others needed for the startup.

Workaround:

- open regedit

- go to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SWActivation\K2

- you find the Software/office/editor/versionII/Ready string key with a valid data value but not the others .../versionII/{Green,Loop}

- if so, create two new String Value key ( right click ) and set the data value the same as for the Ready string key ; these key names are:

- Software/office/editor/versionII/Green

- Software/office/editor/versionII/Loop