7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2009 2:01 PM by Charles Culp

3D sketch fillet

Chris Champions
      Is there a way to add a fillet to a 3D sketch?
      Thx, Chris
        • 3D sketch fillet
          Tom Nicholson
          It works here, least on 2009.. I no longer have 2007 installed so donno about that one..
          • 3D sketch fillet
            It really depends on what you're trying to fillet. The ajoining entities need to be co-planar in order to create a fillet.

Otherwise it is possible to use a tangent arc on other 3D sketch situations.
            • 3D sketch fillet
              Jason Corl
              Chris,

I've done it before. Make sure you select the two line segments and not the intersection points.

Mark...one definition of a plane is that of 2 intersecting lines, which is the only way a sketch fillet is usable, thus the two lines must be coplanar by default.
                • 3D sketch fillet
                  Dwight Livingston

Jason Corl wrote:

Mark...one definition of a plane is that of 2 intersecting lines, which is the only way a sketch fillet is usable, thus the two lines must be coplanar by default.

What are you saying about usable? The sketch fillet tool works between arcs, splines, etc, if they are co-planar.

• 3D sketch fillet
                  Jason Corl
                  Dwight, Mark and Chris

My apologies, Dwight is correct about my "usable" statement being incorrect. After testing for myself I realized that I had never used the sketch fillet option with anything other than two lines.

That being said, Mark's statement is correct about the entities being coplanar, but if the entities are coplanar and you are still having problems, make sure you select the segments and not the intersection point. I know that it works on the point in 2009 but i'm pretty sure you had to select the entities in 2007.

There goes my new years resolution of being perfect...just kidding of course...at least i've learned something.
                  • 3D sketch fillet
                    Charles Culp
                    That middle curve is not co-planar to the line, thus it cannot be filleted with the fillet tool in a 3D sketch. Depending on what you are trying to do, you can convert that middle segment to a construction line, and then create curves by hand to create the fillet.

However, if it is acceptable for what you are trying to draw, I suggest doing a "fit spline" over the current geometry. Then you can use the "simplify spline" tool, and simplify it a little bit. Now you can drag the spline points to get an approximation for what you are looking for. A spline will be very easy to modify. Similarly, you could consider using a spline just for the small area that you are looking to add fillets to.