10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2017 9:48 AM by John Stoltzfus

mirror assemblies - new configurations

Raymond Yau

Hi,

I'm trying to create an opposite-handed version of my master assembly model and have it as a new mirrored configuration.

I've tried using the 'mirror component' feature and then suppress the original assembly, but it doesn't give me the correct orientation on some parts so I'd have to use the 'reorient' parts manually. Another problem I had when using this approach is it doesn't actually create a new configuration, it just simply adds the mirrored parts to the original configuration, so this would be really slow since I need to create an opposite-handed version for multiple configurations.

Can someone suggest a better and more robust way of doing this?

Thanks

EDIT: suppressing the original model seems to make the mirror model disappear.

• Re: mirror assemblies - new configurations
          Kyle Craig

Hi Raymond,

Step 2 is the bit that can get a little confusing for people.

In the "orient components" list, you need to go through each part in the list and decide whether it can be re-orientated (and not need to make an opposite version) OR select if it needs to have an opposite hand version.

whichever part is selected in your list will preview purple in the graphics area.

Use the options (usually 1 to 4) for re-orientation, which often due to part symmetry is possible for your design.

Then if it can't be simply re-orientated, hit the create opposite hand version button, again while that part is selected in your list.

You can't simply make an opposite hand assembly in a single click.  You need to first create the new opposite hand parts that are necassary.

If you are still having any problems, upload the file and I'll have a look!

Raymond Yau

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for your detailed input. I made some headway on this recently using the method you described. I created all the left-hand configurations first and grouped the components into a single folder, I then used the design table to suppress the folder, leaving behind only the mirrored model. It works to an extent, but as I mentioned above in my OP, the mirrored model seems to lose its mates when I suppressed the original model i.e. parts are in disarray when I switch between different configurations of various sizes. Perhaps the screenshots will give you a better idea of what I mean.

Unfortunately I can't upload the files without authorisation. I wish I could.

John Stoltzfus

Configurations in parts are ok but, unfortunately configurations in assemblies are almost like water and oil mix, a challenge getting everything just right.

I don't want to discourage you for what you're trying to do, but sometimes it's quicker to set up a master assembly and then doing a pack & go for other sizes etc...

Anytime you have multiple parts and within those parts there are numerous configurations and then you setup an assembly inserting those parts in different ways by picking different configurations for each different assembly, you can create confusion, because of the way SolidWorks rebuilds..  The issues you are having prove the point, however I would suggest opening up all the files when working on the assembly and drawings, the rebuilds will be cleaner when you hit Ctrl Q.

Your setup would work great for Drive Works, you may want to check that out..

Kyle Craig

hi Raymond,

Sorry, I didn't take into account everything you said.  Your other main concern is having a configuration of the assembly that is the mirrored version.

this should be quite straight forward,

After completing the mirrored components command and it's folder appears at the bottom of your assembly tree it should be a simple case of creating a new configuration, then supressing all other components in the tree, leaving only your mirrorComponent feature unsupressed.

you can also do vice versa and suppress the mirrorcomponent feature from the first configuration so that when you are in it, it should look something like this.

Again, any issues don't hesitate to upload the file and I can take a look!

Thanks

Kyle

Wayne Schafer

Would this work for you?

John Stoltzfus

The way I do it is way more work for some, but I want a stable and robust assembly. 

First question is by doing that mirror - will it require a mirrored component, if it does then I open the part make a mirror part and save it.  Open up a new assembly and mate the parts to make it a mirror copy of the first assembly.. 

Using the assembly mirror feature doesn't give you a true mirrored part that if you change the original part...  This is especially important if you have a parametric assembly...