2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2017 11:55 AM by Ed Sander

Option for "Shared files" in PDM Standard?

Ed Sander

Hello all,  we've recently upgraded our PDM system from the workgroup to standard....not really upgraded, but forced to change.  Anyway, I know with PDM Pro there is an option for "shared files". Since PDM Standard does not have this option, I was wondering how people are handling their shared files?  For instance, we use an empty model as our "Glue" so it will show up on the drawing BOM.  In Workgroup, only 1 glue file existed and anywhere it appeared was simply an image linking back to the original file.  However, with the Standard PDM I'm finding multiple glue files being created and stored in different folders with different numbers of versions, etc .  I know there is an option to prevent duplicate file names, and that would work moving forward (for the glue anyway).  Is there any sort of workaround/settings to achieve the "shared files" option that Pro offers and used to exist in Workgroup?.....aside from upgrading to Pro. 

I've been unofficially dubbed the admin for our engineering group, but really have just as much experience with it as anyone else here (not much) so any guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

• Re: Option for "Shared files" in PDM Standard?
          Craig Schultz

Put common parts into their own folder, don't allow duplicate names for SW files.  If people are searching for parts, have them search the top folder, they will find the files they need.

IMHO, the shared file option is like Linus' blanket in keeping people happy that the files can all be in the "same folder".  I took away the ability to share files.  There were a ton of questions about why there were so many files with the same name.

• Re: Option for "Shared files" in PDM Standard?
              Ed Sander

Thanks Craig, that's kind of the direction I'm headed.  Our Workgroup folder structure was not the greatest, but the "shared files" was almost an integrated band-aid for poor discipline.  I believe people have gotten too comfortable with that system and are now struggling because of the culture shift to the new system.  I've been working on re-structuring the folders to make everything a bit easier, but agreed, ultimately it seems like a culture/discipline thing to have the system work correctly....although I was still clinging to that shred of hope of a magic fix.