9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2017 6:34 AM by Martin Solem

PDM Set Revision to Card Value (value does not match any of the revisions)

Shaun Jalbert

We had four complicated work flows involving 4 revision components / schemes for managing our revisions. These included...

1) Internal Pre-IFC releases:

Pre-IFC Alpha, Pre-IFC Numeric (obtained Rev Values of A1, A2, A3, A4,.....Z99)

2) External Pre-IFC releases:

Pre-IFC Alpha (obtained Rev Values of A, B, C, D,.....Z)

3) Internal IFC releases:

IFC Numeric, IFC Alpha (obtained Rev Values of 0A, 0B, 0C, 0D,.....99Z)

4) External IFC releases:

IFC Numeric (obtained Rev Values of 0, 1, 2, 3,.....99)

We wanted to simplify our workflow, so we scrapped the above for two work states

1) State 1 = In Process (meant for editing)

2) State 2 = Locked (meant to Lock the file and set the rev level)

The rev level was simply recorded in the PDM comments during the state transition to "Locked" beside the applicable version.

Version comment = Released as Rev %var_Revision No%

where "Revision No" = the data card value entered by a user.

Now, we'd like to Set the Revision Value to equal Data Card Value. Unfortunately, it appears that we need a Revision component that encompasses our 4 revision schemes. This is where I'm stumped. Any Help?

• Re: PDM Set Revision to Card Value (value does not match any of the revisions)
          Tim Webb

Hi Shaun,

I am afraid you are needing far greater help than what is usually offered on the forums.

I'll PM you with more details.

Tim CEPA

Believe in The Q!

• Re: PDM Set Revision to Card Value (value does not match any of the revisions)
            Martin Solem

Hi Shaun,

I think you need to decide how the revisions is going to look in the future, because with that simple workflow, you can only have one revision scheme. Then you can plan how to move all existing data into the new scheme.

An example would be to differentiate with characters, using 4 transitions that each sets the corresponding revision.

Using abbreviations of the old workflows above, and a revision scheme with a number x, you would have PIx, PEx, IIx, IEx, and the workflow could look like this:

Ideally, the users will have only one option for change state, which is "Lock file", and based on variable values, file path or anything else, rules in all transitions will make sure the file is given the correct combination of letters and revision number.

I also agree with Tim Webb, this topic is too much, get in touch with someone with PDM experience, consultant or VAR...

Shaun Jalbert

Hmm... that's what I'm trying to avoid. We ran into issues where we've had to undo a rev-up transition to make a correction before being issued. In your example, I would need 4 opposite (rev down) transitions to accomplish this. We want it to be simple for our users.

What I would prefer, is the user to manually set the revision in the data card, and when he transitions into the locked state, the revision is set (perhaps there is one revision component, a simple wild card value that can be driven to equal the text value entered in the data card)

Is something like that possible?

Thanks,

Shaun

Adrian Velazquez

Shaun Jalbert wrote:

...I would need 4 opposite (rev down) transitions to accomplish this. We want it to be simple for our users.

Why wouldn't this be easy for the User? They would only see one Chage State option (if you name them all the same)

Shaun Jalbert wrote:

What I would prefer, is the user to manually set the revision in the data card, and when he transitions into the locked state, the revision is set (perhaps there is one revision component, a simple wild card value that can be driven to equal the text value entered in the data card)

If the users are setting Transitions manually, then you defeat the purpose of having a Workflow Controlled Rev system. There's no such option (out of the box).

Shaun Jalbert

Hi Adrian:

Thanks for your response.

Our users aren't the most tech savvy bunch. I mean that in the most polite way possible, but they really don't embrace change well. We had a workflow that was automated with our four rev models and we found ourselves spending far too much time rectifying incorrectly chosen transitions and the rev management became difficult for our project leads to moderate. We eliminated this system with a simple work flow and the users all prefer it (see below).

The user edits the data card variable manually, and then he/she transitions the files via "lock and set rev" - only one option and no guess work is required. Our users love it, because it eliminates the possibility of choosing the wrong work flow. Once a file is transitioned to locked, we have the version increase and a comment populates beside it indicating the data card rev value. This works ok, but we'd prefer to properly set the revision to equal the data card rev variable. Is this possible?

Martin Solem

Hi Shaun,

I'm still not convinced i understand your situation, so forgive me if i stray off.

To build further on the workflow/train of thought above:

So i send myfile.sldprt to Locked, applying revision IE1 (revision counter begins on 0).

I figure there is something wrong, so i need to change it, i send it through Change Revision, which will count revisions backwards by 1.

When i Lock the file after my change, it will count upwards and give me revision IE1 again.

Kind regards

Martin

Shaun Jalbert

Hi Martin:

In your example, x appears to be the only rev variable. However, this isn't our method.

PIx = 2 variables. P = A, B, C... and x = 0, 1, 2... for combinations that make A1, A2, A3, A4,.....Z99

PEx = 1 Variable. P = A, B, C... for combinations that make A, B, C, D,.....Z

IIy = 2 variables. I= 0, 1, 2... and y = A, B, C... for combinations that make 0A, 0B, 0C, 0D,.....99Z

IEy = 1 Variable. I = 0, 1, 2... for combinations that make 0, 1, 2, 3,.....99

So when you rev down, which rev variable rev's down (P,I, x or y). I see no way to control this other than with 4 opposite transitions that the user must knowingly choose. We had this method before and it wasn't working for us.

I'm just looking for a way to drive the revision via the data card variable. Is this possible?

Martin Solem

Well since each revision counter requires their own state, you can still apply my take on it, but you will need 5 states and not 2, but process-wise, you will have 2. ("In process" and "Locked1/2/3/4", with each their transitions. And remember, what looks messy in the workflow designer can look simple for users.)

To drive the revision with manual input; You could probably get this with a custom add-in, but i haven't explored revisioning in add-ins.

Thinking i've run out of cents, i'll shut up now