11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2017 11:06 AM by Derek Parks

Multiple Swivels Controlled by One Part

Derek Parks

I am going to try and explain what I am trying to achieve as well as possible since I am unable to attach the files. I have a series of assemblies that have a pipe with one swivel end and one fixed end. When I make an assembly using these about 5 of these assemblies and make them flexible they rotate fine when selected separately. What I need them to do is all rotate when I select the last pipe assembly in the set. I need full 360 rotation so finding a mate is challenging. It moves just like I would want it to if I select Rotate Component and select the end part but it would be nice to get it to move the same way just by grabbing it. I am going to assume this is possible using some mate function I am just not familiar with. If anyone had any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,

Derek

• Re: Multiple Swivels Controlled by One Part
          John Stoltzfus

Use a sketch path (spline) and mate it coincident with an existing sketch point...

J. Mather

Can you mock up a simple dummy assembly the exhibits all the behaviors that you need in your proprietary work?

Derek Parks

I will mock something up real quick so its a little clearer

Derek Parks

OK, I have added a rough example file that will hopefully clear up what I am trying to achieve. The Red box is the one i would like to be able to grab and move anywhere. I would also like to be able to try and fix the Red box and have it error if the rotations can't solve. As you can see all of the connections rotate freely when grabbed individually but not when the Red box is grabbed. If you select rotate component and grab the Red box it will all move freely as I would like. Basically a kinematic link where the red box is in charge of how everything else has to move. I appreciate everyone taking a look at this for me.

Cheers,

Derek

Paul Risley

Derek,

I took a look at this model. It is very similar to a robotic arm. That being the case you do have to set some internal limits on rotation and movement on all axis constraints.(There are too many possible positions).

When I first used robots in Solidworks I added configurations to get the positions I required. After years of messing around with limitations of movements I got them to move within the limits of what the robot arm could actually do.

Unfortunately I do not have a quick "this mate" will fix all of your problems. Since you have a project that requires this assembly to perform I would start off with some configurations of where you want the final positions to be. This should clear up some of the possible movements of the linkage arm asm. Once you have 3 or 4 final positions some of the limit mates may become clear to achieve what you want.

John Stoltzfus was not far off with his sketch idea for free range movement either. One thing I use on robotic arms is a sketch on connection flanges. If the arm has 360 degrees of free rotation I utilize a sketch of a 359 degree arc on 1 flange and a sketch point on the mating flange on the radius. It will allow free travel of 359 degrees rather than the full 360 which starts flipping orientation.

Like I said I do not have a quick fix, but there are multiple ways to achieve what you are looking for. It is a matter of practice and experience rather than a quick couple of mates and you are off and running. It is after all why we get paid the big bucks.

Good luck.