1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 2, 2017 8:34 AM by Glenn Schroeder

Text "cant be copied to clipboard" when splitting up drawings

Gene Han

Hello all,

I am having an issue with text not being copied properly.

I have a "Part" file that contains numerous 2D Drawing sheets. I am in the process of saving all of these sheets individually, each into a new "part" file, but whenever I try to copy + paste them into the documents, a message pops up saying that the text "cannot be copied to the clipboard" (Such as part labels/bill of materials labels).

I am avoiding trying to enter all the text manually because there is quite a bit of labels.

Is there an alternative way to "split up" all of the components in the original part file?

I was assuming it was some internal issue, or because the labels were somehow linked to one another..

Please let me know if anyone has experience in this situation!

Thank you very much!

• Re: Text "cant be copied to clipboard" when splitting up drawings
          Glenn Schroeder

Welcome to the forum.  I, and I'm sure others here, would like to help, but I'm confused.  Maybe if we clear up a few things it will help.  First, you said "I have a "Part" file that contains numerous 2D Drawing sheets."  SolidWorks has three basic file types:  Parts, Assemblies, and Drawings.  Part files can't contain Drawings.  Maybe you mean you have a multi-body Part, and a Drawing with a separate sheet for each body?  Or did you mean you have numerous sketches that you're trying to copy to another Part file?

Also, I'm struggling to figure out what "I am in the process of saving all of these sheets individually, each into a new "part" file, but whenever I try to copy + paste them into the documents, a message pops up saying that the text "cannot be copied to the clipboard" (Such as part labels/bill of materials labels)." means.  Again, you can't save drawing sheets into a Part file.  You can copy drawing sheets from one Drawing and paste them into another Drawing, but that shouldn't result in the error message you're seeing.