5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2017 3:41 PM by Jeff Sweeney

Is anyone actually using the "Labels" functionality?

Aaron Larson

There is no right or wrong answer here.... but I've found very little discussion on this topic.  As I was just checking in a document that I plan on sharing with someone I thought... "What is the best way to tag this version of this doc as something meaningful?"  Checkin comments, labels, some other variable that can be cannibalized?  I found a thread here: Searching by Label

https://forum.solidworks.com/message/60972#comment-60972?q=label

But that didn't have too much information on labels either.  I'm just curious if anyone has tried using labels and found it to be a successful venture?

• Re: Is anyone actually using the "Labels" functionality?
          Jeff Sweeney

Besides the obvious -a way to put a note in the history of a file... i.e. this is the version that the customer hated, was FDA approved, etc. The coolest application I have seen is a way to make a selection set.

Say there is a group of files that you will be working with together for a while. Put a label in them something like "Jeff's Cool File". Now you can make a search favorite looking for all files with that label. This brings all of your cool files together in one search window where it is easy to check them all in/out/change state, etc.

Aaron Larson

that's not a bad use case.  I was under the impression that labels only pertained to specific versions of files?  Or does the search option "search all versions" also look at labels?  Or am I totally misguided in thinking that labels are version specific?

Matt Peneguy

Aaron Larson,

I think you are correct about labels referring to versions.  Though I have no idea if you can search through previous revision labels.  I know you can possibly do what Jeff Sweeney mentioned with a Custom Property.  Jeff, did you mean a custom property, instead?

I had never thought of doing what Jeff refers to.  It sounds pretty useful and I'll investigate linking components together as he suggests when I get a chance.

Regarding your original question, I intended to use the labels to keep track of changes, but usually don't bother.  I should probably be more disciplined because there is some value there.

Jeff Sweeney

I suppose you could do this with a version free variable on the data card, but you couldn't have multiple users "marking" a single file this way....and seeing these marks on a data card is a little "in your face" that may invite hooliganism.

Certainly not putting them into a custom property though, you probably don't want your customers to see your marking system, or having to make a new version when you want to remove a file from your selection set.

I think using labels is a better use case than a custom property for this functionality.

Jeff Sweeney

Labels are attached to versions.

So I did miss a step, to use my example above, you do need to search through all versions. Then you will find all files that you have marked as thinking Jeff is cool.

Here is what it looks like in the out of the box complete search...(a great use case for a favorite search)

allversions.JPG

content.JPG