1 Reply Latest reply on May 31, 2017 10:48 AM by Joseph Dunfee

Thread simulation with additional stress from threadlock?

Bence Rivasz

Hi there,

is it possible to create an accurate simulation somehow with additional stress from threadlock?

As seen in the picture my bolt has a high-strenght threadlock what is realy stiff, and screwed in it stretches the tube diameter with +0,1 mm (and cause initial stress)

I made simulations without the threadlock but the results of the real life tests were really different as the simulations (with several outer thread run-out  variations, the "optimized" version was worse than the initial :), so it means i can not ignore it.

threadlock.jpgsw.jpg

(the tube has internal pressure)

i do not have an idea, maybe if i pick up temperature to reach this initial deformation but than the surfaces of the thread won fit together.

• Re: Thread simulation with additional stress from threadlock?
          Joseph Dunfee

Here is a quick idea off the top of my head.  Manually add loads to the surfaces of the threads to simulate the stress from the thread-lock. You will have to first find how much load it requires to deform them the same amount you already found in testing. Then, run your simulation.

In regards to finding out how much load to manually apply; I am not familiar enough with these types of simulations to describe the exact process, but I know there is a way in SW to add a sensor to detect the deformation. You run that simulation to increase the force until you get the deformation you measured in your tests.Then you will know how much force to apply to simulate the thread-lock.

-Joe