4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2018 1:50 PM by Elmar Klammer

building grid how to show and dimension to it in a drawing.

Kiri Skookum

I would like to understand how other companies set out building grids.

I work in the sawmilling industry.- and most machinery items we create need an individual g/a layout so the item can be placed within the building.

Note the grid identifications are made by the Architect and I would use their labelling system.

Our buildings are usually only 1 or 2 levels.

And often the construction lines we refer back to are imaginary lines like the cl of a band wheel and the cl of a column.  But these are critical layout dimensions.

This is the building grid as I had it in my 2d cad system.

I tried making it a block and inserting it on the drawing sheet  and then dimensioning to it.- It didn't work.

My questions are

1) what are the different ways to do this - part of an assembly or in the drawing sheet itself.-

2) Can you dimension to planes in a drawing?- a plane that has no model item associated with it?

I have always found sketching lines to aid dimensioning in Solidworks drawings trial and error. ie: showing a floor level that is not part of the machine.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Cheers Kiri

• Re: building grid how to show and dimension to it in a drawing.
          Caleb Becker

Kiri.

I have the same question and have not found a solution.  But, I did find this video.  SolidWorks Grid System - YouTube

Solidworks has a tool called Grid System.  Under Insert/Reference Geometry/ Grid System.

I will be using this on my other jobs and will see how it works.

Take Care

Caleb

Glenn Schroeder

Kiri Skookum wrote:

My questions are

1) what are the different ways to do this - part of an assembly or in the drawing sheet itself.-

2) Can you dimension to planes in a drawing?- a plane that has no model item associated with it?

I have always found sketching lines to aid dimensioning in Solidworks drawings trial and error. ie: showing a floor level that is not part of the machine.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Cheers Kiri

I'm not sure how this slipped through the cracks without an answer when it was posted, but yes, you can dimension to planes in a drawing.  You can select them from the tree with the Smart Dimension tool active.

I've never done a layout like this, but I'd probably do something in the model to show the lines.  If the spaces are all equal I might create a square block and linear pattern it in both directions to make a floor, then use it in the assembly so the joints would show as the lines.  It would then be very simple to dimension to them in the drawing.

Daen Hendrickson

Kiri,

My approach to this would be to create a part that represented the key datum features of the facility. This part file would contain only reference items - no physical geometry. The attached image should give you an idea - this is a datum part file for a cockpit.

I would probably include the following (giving each a very descriptive name):

• key planes to represent:
                • Floors / Levels / Footings / Overhead Clearances
                • Architectural Grid (Alpha and Numeric)
              • Reference Axis and / or Reference Points to represent key machinery installation data
              • Sketches:
                • Architectural Grid (you can set the sketch lines coincident with the Grid Planes above)
                  • This sketch visibility can easily be turned on in a drawing later. Draw it once, use it repeatedly in multiple drawings.
                • Wall footprints and door openings
                • Column Locations
                • Key facility equipment (service panels, air, water, HVAC)
                • Much of this may be able to be imported from your 2D files.

These things do not need to be detailed; just enough to base / reference  things from.

This part can then be inserted into many of your equipment designs, both at the part level and / or assembly level. The second image shows a part with the datum part inserted. Not only does this allow me to design the part to the reference information, the references are parametric AND the part can be designed IN PLACE. If the architect sends changes, all you need to do is update the datum part. All of your models based off the datum part will update. Additionally, with the part designed in place instead of at the origin, when I place it into the facility assembly I can just let it be fixed or just mate the origins and the part will be where it need to be. No need to reestablish mates to various reference planes.

The datum part requires minimal resources since it is only reference type items. I keep all of the features visibility turned off and only turn on what I need when I need.

I hope this gives you some ideas for consideration.

Daen

Elmar Klammer

Hi Kiri,

Grid system is geared towards modeling. The drawing portion of it is poorly implemented. I add a master sketch and insert sketch blocks to indicate grid markers. One in plan view on in elevation. That way you can add grid reference in detail drawings. The grid marker is converted into the drawing view (convert entity) to show it. SW has not good way to import grid annotation. Changing the grid layout requires adding sketch symbols but it creates better drawing flexibility. SW is not a specialized structural program. You need to make compromises in the process