5 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2017 7:40 AM by Glenn Schroeder

Assembly configurations question

Ben Ben

I will try to explain as best I can.

i have an assembly made up of two sub assemblies.

sub assembly A has multiple configurations. (lets say config 1 is two squares, and config 2 is two circles)

sub assem B is just a triangle (no other config)

The assembly has two configurations. one with sub assem A in config 1, and one with sub assem in config 2.

I wish to draw the assembly once, with the sub assemblies on additional sheets, but then i wish to change the assembly to its 2nd config and have the other sheets update also. (possibly link to parent)? Can i link to a parent on a different sheet?

Can i place a sub assembly on sheet 2, and link to main assembly (parent) on sheet 1?

*Edit...

I have attached an example.

in the drawing, on sheet1 i wish to change Drawing View1 from ConfigA (squares) to ConfigB (circles) and have Drawing View3 (squares) on Sheet3 to automatically change to Config2 (circles)

• Re: Assembly configurations question
          Ned Hutchinson

I think you need to make a 2 config of top level assem, 1 ref to sqaure config and one with ref to circle config.

And have drawing sheets for both configs.

Not sure if you can link to parent across drawing sheets.?

Glenn Schroeder

Ben Ben wrote:

I will try to explain as best I can.

I have attached an example.

in the drawing, on sheet1 i wish to change Drawing View1 from ConfigA (squares) to ConfigB (circles) and have Drawing View3 (squares) on Sheet3 to automatically change to Config2 (circles)

There is no way to do that automatically, although someone may be able to write a macro to do it.  It's easy enough to change the configurations of the following drawing views.

Ben Ben

yer, i understand i can change the configs of the following drawings, my example is just an example.

my actual drawing is far more complicated with many sub assemblies and many many configurations.

Resulting in many pages of drawings with no parent.

I think it would be handy if we could just right click a part or sub assembly in the main assembly drawing, and select create drawing of part/sub assembly (on new sheet, not a completely new drawing) using this assembly as parent.

It just seems odd to me, i can create a multiple page drawing of an assembly, but if i change the configuration of the original assembly drawing, none of the other pages update the change...

Or simply add this option <Link to main assembly> or similar

Capture.JPG

Bernie Daraz

I think you can do this if it is a multi-sheet (or tab) drawing file. I would suggest (and I haven't tried this) to have the correct configuration assembly off the field of the drawing.