4 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2017 10:55 AM by Mike C

Importing picture into drawing

Mike C

Hi, I am trying to import a picture with only text and line features into a drawing but I am losing resolution.  I am starting with a PDF and tried various exporting formats-jpeg, tiff, png, bmp, and various importing techniques into Solidworks DWG such as insert--> picture, and insert Word Document then inserting a picture from in Word.  None of these methods are preserving the resolution of the text and lines.  Is there a better way to insert a PDF into a drawing?  I am using Solidworks 2015.

• Re: Importing picture into drawing
          Chris Dordoni

The PDF may contain vector graphics, bitmap images and text.

If the PDF has vector graphics, and you have access to Adobe Illustrator you could convert to a DWG or DXF. Inkscape (free) will also import PDF with vectors which can be exported as a DXF.

It's possible to export a bitmap image from a PDF at the highest resolution it was saved at. Some application such as Photoshop will allow you to set a dpi value when you import the PDF. Gimp (free) may also allow this. Usually going above 300 dpi is not needed, and if the image was saved at a low resolution, say 150 dpi, it won't improve things to enter a higher dpi. You can also convert a vector graphic PDF to an image by entering a dpi value. The text will also be converted at this value.

Mike C

Thanks, so you're suggesting to import a DXF into a Solidworks drawing?  My export from Adobe is great; the resolution is high, it's just when I try to insert it into a Solidworks drawing, I lose the resolution.

Chris Dordoni

Mike,

Can you clarify how you are exporting an image from the PDF ... you say export from Adobe,  which application specifically, Acrobat Reader, Photoshop, Illustrator ...?

In general, a DXF would give the best results if the contents of the PDF are vectors, one exception being that if it's very complex with several thousand entities, it would be difficult to move around and slow down working with the SolidWorks drawing. The other potential issues might be text formatting and line weights. In those cases an image might be preferable to having to reformat blocks of text or modify line weight.

Can you share the PDF?