AnsweredAssumed Answered

Changing original plane orientation and z axis

Question asked by Mattew Stafford on May 27, 2017
Latest reply on May 28, 2017 by Mattew Stafford

I have read through several threads and cannot seem to find a simple method to do what I am trying to do.  Here is what I am trying to accomplish:

1) Align the original coordinate system to match the common way (for all CAD/CAM softwares that I have ever used besides SW), so that the x/y axis are on the top plane and the z axis points "up" when looking down at the top.

2) When I create a sketch, I want the "view normal" to align my view so that my horizontal lines are actually horizontal to the screen automatically.

Here is what I did:

1) Opened my part template & hit "spacebar" to bring up my view options.  While looking in the front view, I then selected "update standard views", then selected my top view.

2) Now, when I look at my top, front, right views, the x,y,z axis is aligned to how I want them.  However, when looking at the top view, I am looking straight down on a front plane.  So next, I change the name of my planes to match what is correct (in other words, I renamed the top plane to front and the front plane to top).

3) Now, when I create a sketch on my right plane for instance, it automatically orients the view so that my horizontal lines are vertical and vice versa.  Everything is 90° from the way I want it.

How can I fix this?  Can I rotate the original planes?  When I create a sketch, can I tell it that I want a particular line to be horizontal right at creation?  I am a little familiar with the modify sketch options, but it seems like a lot of mouse clicks to get it to work correctly, then it only works if my sketch is not connected to existing geometry.

Outcomes