AnsweredAssumed Answered

Further Assembly Questions

Question asked by John Wayman on May 26, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 22, 2017 by John Wayman

Following on from my earlier question regarding assembly structures, I have a couple more questions:

The parts in the robot models from the manufacturer are all STEP files, each part containing a single imported feature. When opened in Solidworks, all the parts are Fixed (they have the (f) next to them in the feature tree. When I move the parts around into their respective sub-assemblies, I want to locate each part in the sub-assembly by mating its origin with the sub-assembly origin. Here are the questions:

1. How can I select all the parts in the assembly and Float them simultaneously? It seems that the Float option is not available if more than one part is selected. I'm not a fan of the 'select a part, right-click, Float, select the next part...' option.

2. How can I select all the parts in a given sub-assembly and mate their origins to the sub-assembly origin simultaneously? I know about the multiple mate option, but I can't seem to find a way to select all the part origins without expanding each part and clicking the origin in the feature tree. That's a lot of clicking. Again, I'm not a fan.

3. I want each of my robot models to be constructed the same way. That means the mates between the sub-assemblies as well. Assuming I can get the common assembly structure sorted (thanks John Stoltzfus for the suggestion), is there a way to copy mates without their being fully-defined? Then I would open up my newly-created robot assembly, with its parts in their correct sub-assemblies, and select the references for each of the pre-defined mates. I did think maybe smart mates could help, but remember a) I am not creating the parts, they are STEP files from the manufacturer, although I am creating the sub-assemblies and b) The parts are all referenced to the overall origin of the robot, not to any repeatable spot on my sub-assembly, thus the offsets between origin and axis vary with the size of the robot.

4. Finally (I think), when restructuring an assembly by dragging components from one sub-assembly to another, I find that sometimes I can select a group of components then click, drag the top selected component and they all follow each other into the target sub-assembly; other times, only one goes and the others stay where they were. I can't see a reason for this variation in behaviour, but there is probably a sensible justification.

SW2016, SP5

Windows 10

Thanks,

John

Outcomes