AnsweredAssumed Answered

Common Assembly Structure

Question asked by John Wayman on May 26, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 23, 2017 by John Wayman

I want to build a library of robot assemblies that I can re-use and pose in various top-level assemblies.

Almost all the robots (and there are lots of different ones) can be boiled down to the same basic structure of sub-assemblies:

Base, Axis 1-2, Axis 2-3, etc.

Is there a way that I can set up a Solidworks assembly template (not sure if that is the right word in this context) or common assembly structure, so that I can get a robot model from the manufacturer's website, insert the parts into my common structure, and move the parts around into their respective sub-assemblies?

I know how to move things between top-level and sub-assembly level. What I would like to be able to do is re-use an existing structure, so all my robot assemblies are made the same way. In an ideal world, I would be able to save standard mates between the sub-assemblies and just change the references for each new robot type.

I tried to save an existing assembly as an assembly template, but, apparently, 'a document that references other documents cannot be used as a template'.

Any ideas?

SW2016, SP5

Windows 10

Cheers,

John

Outcomes