1 Reply Latest reply on May 29, 2017 4:54 AM by Martin Solem

Corrupted files in Solidworks PDM?

Al Griego

Has anyone had any corrupted file  issues in SW2017 while using PDM? We are looking at getting upgrading from SW1015 to 2017 and incorporating PDM to eliminate the issues we've had with duplicate files, and standard parts getting moved out of their assigned folders. I'd hate to upgrade and then have files get corrupted. You can rename and such easily when you're working without PDM, but it seems like this kind of an issue would be harder to deal with while using PDM. Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance!

• Re: Corrupted files in Solidworks PDM?
          Martin Solem

1 - I will not tie file corruption to a product or a specific release. While i have seen some (but very little in total) file corruption in 2017, i have seen it in previous releases too. It's almost never a general error, and the source of the error can be very tricky to find.

I recommend you set up a test system. Import files, run file version upgrade, test.

--

2 - When checked into PDM, the file will get an ID in the database and this ID will never change. It's the ID PDM uses when processing the file, and it doesn't have anything to do with name or location. Meaning you can rename and move files between folders as you please.