AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do you handle using advanced features or concepts at a job where new or untrained SW users might have to use the same models?

Question asked by Jim Steinmeyer on May 24, 2017
Latest reply on May 24, 2017 by Bjorn Sorenson

In going through the thread on "what makes your blood boil" I started thinking about how do you convey your advanced methods to those who follow you?

For example; I once worked a contract job where I was to design a new semi trailer by modifying an existing model. I spent several days making changes and getting beams just right only to have my dimensions change and nothing fit the way I had designed it. Come to find out the original designer had used a SSP concept but had not created a master sketch that was separate but had involved sketches to features of several different higher level assemblies. It took quite a bit of time digging around to find what he had done and not knowing how he did things,it would have been much faster to have just started from scratch.

I keep seeing great time and effort saving tricks here but I find myself wondering how i am going to convey how this magic happens to then next guy who has to work on this model, especially if I am not here to show him. And I believe a very important part of a robust model should be the ease of use for the next guy in line.

Outcomes