8 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2017 11:31 AM by Dennis Dohogne

A bitter return to Solidworks!

Steven Smith

After being away from Solidworks for several years, there came a point 6-8 months ago now where I made the habitual return to using the software. From what I remember, Solidworks was always good at obtaining feedback from their users via the SW top 100.

Now, I don’t know whether it’s just me that sees this!

I get the feeling that with all the minor improvements that they implement. Improvements that I see only cater for a minority of users, they have appeared to lose focus of delivering to their userbase a stable platform of their software.

Don’t get me wrong, there are probably many improvements that our company could carry out to minimise potential shortcomings but my experience with previous versions have nowhere been as poor as the 2016 & 2017 versions of SW.

I understand and appreciate that Dassault obviously have a focus on where they want the software to be in 5-10 years’ time but, companies like Autodesk and PTC (whilst their software does still have problems) are now vastly superior 3D cad packages. I guess Solidworks survival is now dependent on the user-friendliness of its UI compared to robust design practices and referencing capabilities that other packages present.

Like I say, it’s probably just a furious rant, but Solidworks is nowhere near the software it used to be.

Sorry, I had to vent!