0 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2017 8:01 AM by Yannik Zemp

Flow through a capillary

Yannik Zemp

Hi everyone

I am new to SolidWorks and want to use it to simulate the flow of Argon gas through an object, which is used for High Harmonic generation with a laser. For that Argon gas is coming directly from a bottle at a pressure of 1.4 bar through a pipe of 2mm internal diameter, which is connected to the central block. The gas enters a first volume in which a small capillary is inserted. The volume on the other side (2) is evacuated with a vacuum pump. The pressure without Argon flowing is in the order of 1e-7 bar. With Argon flowing the gas coming through the capillary acts as a nozzle producing a (hopefully narrow) jet. That much for the background. The whole thing is seen in the picture below, with the Argon inlet on top and the pump connected to the left. I didn't build the whole thing with all the pipes since i was positive this is enough to simulate the situation. I also left out some holes and small structures since I'm only interested in the situation right after the capillary exit which should be dominated by the flow directly from the capillary (so I assumed any turbulence can be neglected).

block_picture.jpg

My main problem is that no matter which starting conditions i set, the program converges to a situation where the two volumes are uniformly pressurized with a gradient in the capillary, so somehow no flow and surely no jet behavior. Is there a relatively easy to do this simulation? My best results (at lest the first iterations in the solver look promising) were with a ventilator as the input and a uniform velocity at the exit plane. I know these are not the real conditions I have but every try I did with more realistic ones ended up far worse.

Since I'm not very good with the program as of yet I don't know which additional information might be useful. I'm happy for any help.

Kind regards

Yannik