10 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2017 10:02 AM by Michael Rothwell

Beginners questionSW2016

Michael Rothwell

I am constructing an Oldham Coupling, the remainder of the assembly requires copying the object, and then turning it 180 degrees so that

the original object is attached to a mirrored version.  I can't figure out what command will work to turn the copied object 180 so that the assembly will fit together.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Re: Beginners questionSW2016
          Glenn Schroeder

Hello Michael,

You've posted the Assembly file, but it won't open without the Part files.  For the future, if you'll use the Pack and Go feature to place the Assembly and all it's Part files into a zip folder and post that we'll be able to open it.  Now, with that being said, I'll try to help anyway.  In Assemblies, there is a Mirror Components command, which will do just what it says.  Select a Plane or flat surface to place the second Part.  If you don't get the anticipated results in the yellow preview then be sure to click on the small blue arrow at the top of the Feature Manager to get more options (including one that will create a mirror version of the Part, if necessary).

Please reply back to let us know if that works for you, or if you need more help.

Michael Rothwell

Glenn,

Thanks for the advice on the beginners assembly.

I now have another simple question, on Solidworks 2016,

there should be a text icon to insert text, its not on the command

and is not in the sketch entities menu under tools. 
              Do you know where I can find this..  Notes is not working for the time being.

Dennis Bacon

If you are thinking about inserting a note it is in annotations.

ore you can add your line format toolbar.

Jacob Bakovsky

Michael,

There is a button under the sketch entities menu as shown in the image below. It is wise when beginning a sketch to create a centerline to be used as a reference to fit the typed text on. This is the sketch you will select under the "curves" box. If you are using this text to make a boss extrude or cut extrude, please be sure to double check that you do not have overlapping contours in your sketched text. A way to avoid this is this uncheck the "use document font" box, subsequently select the "Font" button so you can change the size and/or font. Another way would be to just imply change the size and spacing percentage in the Sketch Text property manager.  Please see this video from our youtube channel: SOLIDWORKS – Text Font 101 - YouTube

I hope this helps answer your question.

Dennis Bacon

Thank you Jacob... I suspect that is what he is asking. Also in "Tools > Sketch Entities".

Michael Rothwell

I think my problem is that the text button is non existent, I don't know if this something left out.  I am using the student trial version, I'll be upgrading in about a month.  I would think that this version would still have the text feature. 

Any thoughts???

Dennis Bacon

I would think that would be available in the student trial version. Curious. Are you able to do any text at all  (whether sketch or note)? Anywhere? Part or drawing?.. (Long shot SW can't find the font location so no text available). I suppose before taking any steps, hopefully you can find out if anyone else using the student trial version  also does not have that available. You are interested specifically in sketch text, correct?

Edit:... Just had another thought. If you go to commands >_ and type in text, do you get this?.. If so sounds like your registry may need to be reset in order to get that button.. If you don't get it then it's just not available. Of course if the text command shows up you can click on it from here and it should work.

Bernie Daraz

Glenn had the correct answer, referring to the picture below just mirror the part in dark blue and the orientate it properly to the key. I would have done it but I can't create a plane in the assembly file because the parts were not attached. You could just as easily insert another 'blue' part and mate that one too.

oldham coupling.JPG