AnsweredAssumed Answered

Comparing iges - step - 3dm importations

Question asked by Jordi Pérez on May 19, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 1, 2017 by Paul Salvador

Hi everybody,

I'm making a fast test project in order to improve my design/development workflow from Rhino to SolidWorks for plastic parts.

I'm getting some confusing results when it's time to import the Rhino file into SolidWorks...

1 - For this example I'm moving SURFACE BODIES, so I will apply the thicknes, draft angles, radius, etc. with SolidWorks tools... I'm testing three formats (iges, step and rhino4 -files attached-), all of them imported with the next options:

TEST - 2 - SW BRIDGE OPTIONS.JPG

2 - The weird thing comes now, so I'm getting different results with the same import options depending on the format. Basically two types:

Type 1: Rhino 4 and STEP are comming with two bad faces that can't be healed, but the surface bodies are knited propperly.

Type 2: Iges comes with a bad face that can be healed but surface bodies are knitted more than needed (look at the line separating the bottom and the top cases). Nothing seems to change if I export as "Solidworks Surfaces" or "Default" iges options when comming out from Rhino:

TEST - 2 - SW STEP IMPORT.JPG

TEST - 2 - SW RH4 IMPORT.JPG

TEST - 2 - SW IGES IMPORT.JPG

My goal here is to import with iges configuration (better surface reading, less bad faces) but respecting the original bodies organization (3 surface bodies).

Any advices? What am I missing??

Thanks!

Outcomes