10 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2017 3:50 PM by Christopher Thorn

Dimension line overlaying/obscuring hole pattern centre line

Christopher Thorn

When I dimension the pitch circle of a hole pattern in a drawing, I usually use a linear dimension because I think it looks neater (left-hand image, shown in blue).

Sometimes, though, I don't have the space for a linear dimension so I need to use a diameter dimension (right-hand image, shown in pink).

The issue I have is that when a diameter dimension is added to the pitch circle centre line, the circular extension lines of the diameter dimension obscure the centre line, making it appear solid.

1.PNG

I've tried adding the diameter dimension between different holes in the pattern, in case it was something to do with the position of the pattern seed, but it doesn't matter where the dimension is placed - its circular extension lines always overlay the pitch circle centre line, which is really annoying.

I can't find any way of getting around this so my guess is it's a bug. This behaviour occurred at least as far back as 2014, and it still exists in 2017 SP3.0.

I've got a brand new PC with a clean install of 2017 SP3.0, a Quadro P4000 graphics card and the latest SolidWorks-certified drivers.

Thanks for reading!

Chris