3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2008 1:28 PM by Bruce Cox

On screen input would work perfectly if...

Bruce Cox
      On screen input would work perfectly if... it only placed a dimension if you entered a dimension.

I was sooo looking forward to on screen dimensions, but... It looks like SW took the longest route possible to make something I'll never use.
        • On screen input would work perfectly if...
          Andy Fraser
          Hi Bruce,

There is a keyboard override to prevent a dimension being added even if the checkbox is ticked. If the Alt key is down when the command is ended, the dimension isn't added.

So why did we do it this way?

In Alpha and Beta testing, we found that people were expecting the dimension to always be added, even if not edited, but in some cases, they didn't want the dimension to be added for example if it might overdefine the sketch. That's why we added an override.

Regards,
          Andy.
              John Lhuillier

Andy Fraser wrote:

So why did we do it this way?

In Alpha and Beta testing, we found that people were expecting the dimension to always be added, even if not edited, but in some cases, they didn't want the dimension to be added for example if it might overdefine the sketch. That's why we added an override.

Why isn't this command smart enough to know that when a sketch is added automatically that overdefines the sketch, make it driven, especially if that is the setting you have for normal dimensions. What makes these dimensions any different than the smart dimensions you add manually.
                Bruce Cox
                ALT key, of course!... geeze, I swear I tried all the alt/shift/ctrl options... apparently not.
                OK Thanks.

But I still think if it only placed the dim when entered would be best. At some point you got to enter the dim, right? Personally I draw a lot more lines without single segment dims than with. Most are constrained or dimensioned to some other entity. It seems wrong to make them the special exception.

However I admit, since I have a numbpad under my left hand entering dims is particularly easy for me.

BTW, the UI improvements are generally outstanding.