3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2019 2:57 PM by Paul Wyndham

License Server Installation

John Lewis

Hello,

We are getting ready to set up a SolidWorks network license and I had some questions about the license server setup. According to the system requirements page, a Windows Server OS version is listed for the license server. Would this work on Windows 10 Pro instead of say Windows Server 2016? We are trying to avoid any unnecessary costs and I'm not seeing any obvious reasons as to why it would not work on Windows 10 instead. Is it safe to install this on a virtual machine (VMware)? Are any other programs (such as SQL Server) necessary for the license server installation?

Also, would it be possible to have PDM installed on the same machine as the network license server?

Thanks

• Re: License Server Installation
          Adam Hartles

Hi John

A Windows 10 machine would be sufficient for the license server. No SQL databases are needed for the licensing method. As for the VMWare, some environments are supported- best to check the specific ones on the system requirements page SOLIDWORKS

As for PDM, yes this can also go on the same server, PDM (Professional) ships with the SQL database that is needed, and PDM Standard ships with SQL Xpress. I am not sure if this WIndows 10 machine is going to be dedicated for these processes, or if it is going to be used by a user as well, but if the latter be mindful there may be a lot of background activity processing the PDM transactions and also the machine needs to remain switched on at all times.

John Lewis

Thank you, that answered all of my questions. I saw that previous versions had worked on Windows 7 and 8, but I just wanted to be sure.

The license server will also be used for PDM, but will not be used by any end users. It will be up 24/7 and will only provide server functions.

Thanks

Paul Wyndham

Some VMs are supported. If you attempt to install the license manager on a VM system that is not supported it will alert you before you get too far into it.

I had some Windows 7 machines running as local Archive servers for some sites that didn't have data centers. It worked pretty well once the local team learned that they had to turn the machine back on after a power outage. I definitely would use a machine that users aren't going to use during the day. You could probably run other things on the server, you just don't want someone bogging it down watching YouTube.