10 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2017 9:11 AM by Gordon Rigg

PDM standard setting legacy revision...

Gordon Rigg

I am trying to follow the guide here:

Easy Data Migration Using The New 2016 SOLIDWORKS PDM Set Revision Command

And in fact this was working for me late last week, but there must have been a setting somewhere I failed to save because now it will not work...

ravision update fail.png

"A card Variable does not match with any of the revisions present in the list"

Can anyone help me?

• Re: PDM standard setting legacy revision...
          Prasad Bhonsule

Hi Gordon you may be running into the issue reported under SPR 982798:

Gordon Rigg

hmm, if that is the case its a disaster for me... but the thing is i ran into the same error last week, and then I actually had it working. But then it stopped again and I cant figure out why.

I definitely saw my issues at B-03 or whatever get transferred across.

Major and minor revisions are built into workgroup PDM as standard. Surely SW wouldn't introduce a replacement that doesn't support it?

Or is this just another way of forcing us to pay for our VAR to do the data transfer?

Gordon Rigg

OK so a standard revision scheme in workgroup PDM cannot be accommodated automatically with the set revision command. That is extremely disappointing...and I must wait till "whenever" for a solution to that.

But my searches for a way to set the initial revision on each file to what it already is, rather than have PDM standard resett it to A-01, all go to this "set revision" functionality, explaining what a pain it was to do this before "set revision". But I cant find out how to do it without using "set revision". What is the troublesome technique they are referring to, that I must use?

Craig Merrifield

Hey Gordon,

Setting your files to the desired revision can be managed via a "Migration" workflow (idea provided by VAR). It's a bit cumbersome to set up, but works well and can be used to migrate large groups of files. I've attached some screenshots to illustrate the process, but you will need to adapt to fit your schema.

In the following pic, automated transitions filter only files with the specified "Revision" and sets the desired revision (in the PDM database) to the correct value.

MigrationClip1.JPG

Transition detail "Rev A" - the condition looks for and uses only files where Revision = A

MigrationClip2.JPG

Transition detail "Rev A" - the revision is hard set to the correct value in the PDM database

MigrationClip3.JPG

I'm sure you're wondering what "100" is... we have a revision list driving the revision increments. The first 99 revisions are numeric and then it becomes alphabetic ("A") scheme starting at "100". 101 would be "B", 102 would be "C", and so on...

Side note: I inherited the revision list scheme from a previous admin and don't love it, but it works so I haven't taken time to change it yet.

Hope this proves helpful.

Craig Merrifield

Aka Merf

Gordon Rigg

Only one transition is permitted between two states in PDM standard so this solution cannot work.

My VAR suggested I edit the workflow to individually capture each existing revision state for my legacy data, which is totally impractical.

It looks like they really have locked us all in to paying the VAR to migrate the data, but this also locks us out of trying the sysatem to see if it meets our needs (which is by no means certain, because so many features in PDM standard are locked down and limited).

So rather than take that rather hefty operative and financial risk, it really opens the door to looking for some other system, and while doing that we might as well drop off maintenance and run WGPDM on 2017 as it is completely adequate for our needs .

...then of course every year of back maintenance adding up due the the new crazy back charges goes in a budget toward migrating and retraining on an alternative to solidworks

Ho hum, yet more nails in the coffin...

Craig Merrifield

Hey Gordon,

Sorry I missed the fact you are using PDM Standard. I have one other thought similar to above, but I don't know if you will be limited here as well. The transitions actually go from one workflow, through the automated transitions, to another workflow. Since (in the example) I have it going to a second workflow, you may be able to do the following??

Note that all of the destination states are identical. Not sure if Standard is limited in this way?

MigrationClip4.JPG

Best of luck,

Craig Merrifield

Aka Merf

Gordon Rigg

Pdm standard allows only ten states total.

Just to make sure it sucks completely, if any file in your database has been in a particular state, then that state cannot be deleted.

Hence all these ways to use special temporary workflows to establish initial revisions that match legacy revisions are effectively blocked.

It seems to me this is a cynical and deliberate attempt to force us to pay for to use VAR services for for legacy data transfer. It is a deliberate attempt to lever us out of cash to maintain access to our own data.

Shame on you solidworks!

If anyone found a workaround pleas post!!!!

Prasad Bhonsule

If you are migrating from Workgroup then the Workgroup Migration tool (which unfortunately only VARs are allowed to use) does match legacy revisions, but otherwise you have to move files through a workflow until revisions match up (which is frustrating!)

I work for a VAR but I don't believe that customers should have to pay to migrate data that they already own and have paid for.

Just my two cents.

Thanks

Prasad

Gordon Rigg

Well the workround to limited states and transitions is:

Although a state that has been used cannot be deleted, because one of more files "used" it, it can be edited to become something else.

So you can design a special workflow to sort your files by legacy revision (for the primary revision), the secondary revision being setup with the "set revision" command.

Then you can edit that workflow back to the workflow you designed for your original implementation.

to do that requires you to keep manual documentation of your states and transitions so you can recreate them - as only one workflow can be saved. You cannot archive the workflow and restore it (that functionality is locked out in PDM standard).