AnsweredAssumed Answered

Solidworks Cam

Question asked by Grace Watson on May 12, 2017
Latest reply on May 16, 2017 by Derek Welker

You have shown us the video for creating tool paths starting with a tool. Since this is a Solidworks Concept are there more options for creating tool paths. When we left Autocad and went to Solidworks it was at first hard for people to grasp sketch,dimension and it changes with you. Everything did not have to be defined up front like Autocad. I want to use Solidworks cam the same way but I don't see that I can. It seems like I am being forced into following old practices.

Example:

1. Create model

2. Install Solidworks Cam

* At this time I have a model that was created in Solidworks, I made a square and extruded it out .5 in. I select a surface and create a sketch. I put a ciclre by using extrude cut.

3. I want to in "Solidworks Cam" select a surface, profile, edge what ever... then select and operation.

* I know what operations I want and how I want to make my part. I thought about all that while creating the model.

4. I select the bottom edge of my square and select contour mill. BOOM! I have a tool path and now I define my tool.

5. I select the bottom edge of my hole and select contour mill. BOOM! I have a tool path that I now define.

* Bottom line I want to pick a surface, profile, edge what ever... and tell Solidworks Cam what operation to use. That will allow my work flow to stay the same from concept to the machine.

Outcomes