15 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2017 3:24 PM by Tim Cummings

pdm

Tim Cummings

can any pdm user/client - simply navigate with windows explorer to the server and start deleting files?

• Re: pdm
          Christian Chu

I guess ou mean "Vault" for the "server" - then only admin has the authority to delete files from Vault

Steve Ostrovsky

If they have the PDM client installed, have a login and then their login has Delete permissions, sure. Then you also have to Destroy the documents as they go to a "Recycle Bin" inside SolidWorks PDM waiting to be emptied.

Tim Cummings

Our server has the exact same named (windows) groups as
                those that were added in PDM interface.

Why are the groups needed in both windows and pdm?

I would think that windows would not need a group ( just a
                list of users)  - I think that this functionality is provided by windows
                for cases where not using sequel server software

We
                define user and authorisation group in PDM

Is this correct?

Tim Cummings

should Microsoft windows user permission be set to just read, write. list folder contents?

Tim Cummings

I meant to delete through windows explorer - not deleting in pdm interface

Tim Webb

Hi Tim

If you are referring to the file archive server, your IT department should have that locked down and only the archive server and configured groups should have permission to access that data.

Tim Cummings

does anyone know the Microsoft user settings for a "normal" pdm user for the vault ( not an administrator)?

read and execute, list and read is what mine is set to ( which I agree with)  but  also has "special permisions"

hence, I can delete files right out of the vault from windows explorer   -  this is very bad

Andrew Holowack

Normal users shouldn't have permission to access anything on your PDM server. The only way they should be able to interact with the vault is through the PDM client.  Are you the admin for your system?

Tim Cummings

No,  the Admin has been trying to set Microsoft windows security for users / permissions   -  but all users (except read only users) can still delete

Is this accomplished in the configuration of the MSDE 2000? ( Our PDM does not use Sequel Server)

Jason Capriotti

If you are using SolidWorks PDM, then it has to be using SQL server.....unless you are still on the old SolidWorks Workgroup PDM product which is being phased out.

Client side (Your computer), the PDM software will let you create, edit, and delete files based on the permissions your PDM admin has setup. This has nothing to do with Windows permissions

Tim Cummings

it has nothin to do with widows permissions - I understand - it is logical that I should set my user windows permissions to read, write, list folder contents only so I don't have permission to delete ( any file ore folder in the vault) in windows -    is this correct?