4 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2017 1:09 AM by Carsten Wesseler

How to insert ePDM toolbar icons into the SW 2017 GUI?

Chris Baytopp

Good day, I would like a method to insert ePDM toolbar icons into the SW GUI. Version 2017 has made many improvements, but the 2017 ePDM "check in" and "check out" functions in the right click menu in the SW GUI are too "clunky", requiring a second movement and search in a flyout menu. Also, unavailable menu items being "greyed out" is now sorely missed.

Edit (11-05-17): Not the perfect solution, but have added keyboard shortcuts for both the check-in and check-out functions, which are available under the toolbar customisation dialogue. It would be great if I could do the same with icons for these functions...

• Re: How to insert ePDM toolbar icons into the SW 2017 GUI?
          Steve Ostrovsky

You could also RMB on the model itself and access many PDM functions.

Jason Capriotti

This was changed recently. It used to grey out the unavailable menu items based on current status. Turns out it was causing performance issues since right clicking on the a part meant it had to query the database to check on the status. In a low latency environment, this was causing significant delays, and right-clicking on parts is something you do a lot.

As for the flyout menu, its wasn't always there. The right click menu was getting too long and going off the screen.

Chris Baytopp

Jason,

you've described the problem and its current solution exactly. However, I believe that if the number of queries to the database is to be reduced, then surely making independent icon commands available for use "on demand" rather than "permanently available" would go a long way to  solving this problem. I know that moving the choice away from the RMB dropdown will cause many initial irritation (I'm one of them!), but the improvement in performance must outweigh the minor discomfort at the end of the day.

Carsten Wesseler

It is right that Solidworks introduced the Flyoutmenu beacause of Delays in slow enviroments.

But it is pulling the information when the Flyout opens, so why are the not available Option not greyed out?!

And why can't Solidworks let the user decide which solution is the best for him?! They could give you the option use the old style or the new one.

Anyway there is a Enhancement Request to get the old menustyle back: SPR 884263

Enhancement: Allow option to control if selected file in FM should automatically activate the row in add-in tree to enable/disable buttons as in 2014

Just vote on it.

Regards, Carsten.