4 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2017 5:31 PM by Rich Fagioli

Dark surfaces

David Lööw

When I import details from SW to Visualize, some surfaces tend to be very dark when I apply a material. The more reflective material, the darker the surfaces become.

Has this something with normals to do? Or ray depth? Here's a picture of one detail. Note how the inside is almost black. It doesn't matter how I rotate either the part nor the light (HDR image).

• Re: Dark surfaces
          Brian Hillner

Hi David,

What render mode are you using? Fast or Accurate? While Fast mode is recommended for most Visualize projects, the lighting bounce you are looking for might only be visible in Accurate mode.

Also, what version of Visualize are you using? Visualize SP2 and newer have render performance benefits for Fast mode. Check out this article and video to learn more about these new features and faster render times:

Fast Mode Just Got Faster

Peter Hildebrandt

Hi David,

the lighting is physically correct.There is no light reflection inside the object and the HDR can´t light inside.You can try to use the same material with increased diffuse value and/or brightness inside the object or a white/emissive material on the opposite side to lighten up the inner surface.

Scott Ellery

Hi David ,

the Environment in Visualize is what is lighting you product , try using a different environment or rotating the environment  (hold down CTRL+ALT and click and drag Mouse) to get the look and lighting that you are looking for.

although lighting from the environment will yield you the most true to life results , you can use lights (in Visualize Pro) or emissive materials on planes or Spheres to add additional light to your Scene.

Rich Fagioli

Brian's answer is a good start: there is a difference between "Fast" and "Accurate" modes when looking at box interiors and you may see a world of difference after letting an accurate render run for a few minutes.

Additionally, Scott Ellery offers good advice in tweaking your environment settings. I'd add that it may help to adjust Height and Size to your environment.

You may also want to build your own environment as well. They're easy enough to adjust or construct outright with Photoshop. I've done this a few times after being dissatisfied with the quality of reflections that I get with the standard environments.