8 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2009 7:38 PM by 1-1NHKU5

Flo Crashing on Vista 64?

Matthew Watson
      Just transfered my flo license over to my vista 64 quad core laptop, and can't seem to get any simulations to run.

Flo loads fine, but crashes right before it starts its first iteration.

The same files/setup runs fine on my winxp32 machine with no hickups... anyone had issues like this???

Thanks,

matt
        • Flo Crashing on Vista 64?
          Ian Hogg
          Matt, are you running SP1? I found a lot of instability in SP0, but going to SP1 resolved this.

Ian
            Matthew Watson
            The issue was solved by deleting the project and starting fresh on the 64bit machine. Anyone else had issues going from 32 to 64?
                David Paulson
                Matt, I have had the same problem with FlowExpress on Vista 64. I have sent the problematic files to SolidWorks and they advised me they worked OK, but on XP32. They are now trying to find a vista64 machine to run them on. I have rebuilt the models, but they still fail upon the end of the "solve" process. This has happended on SP2.0 and I uninstalled SW and downgraded to SP1.0, but no improvement.

I think this is a Vista64 problemo............

David Paulson
                Jim Paige
                I have the same issue too. My model was created and tested using SWX Office Premium 2008 x64 SP5.0 in Vista 64bit SP1.0. Our IT guys have promised to downgrade us to XP 64bit. Maybe that will help.
                    Robert Whitlock
                    I have been trying to get my Flow wizard to calculate the flow rate through a cooling manifold design and it crashes every time. I have tried it on 2009 SP01 and SP03 and still there is no change. I am running Vista Ultimate on a 64 bit machine. The same solid has been run on a 32 bit XP machine and the wizard solves it. Does anyone know what can be done to get the feature to work on the 64 bit machines particularly running Vista?
                    David Paulson
                    I upgraded my SolidWorks license for full Flow simulation. I too, operate on a system running on Vista x64. I still see a lot of crashes and on crashes that were created on files based upon Vista x64, not XP x32. Typiclaly the Solver gets hung up at the end and the entire SolidWorks applcation disappears and has to be restarted. This happens on very small models which I run to try to validate prediction with reality. And upon restarting SolidWorks, the solution is OK. Just glad that I have an SSD which boots everything up very fast so not much time is lost.

SW2009 rarely crashes on my machine. But Flow carshes frequently, maybe 10 times per day when I am using the program all of the day. But the inputs have to make sense. Sometimes the failure is because I am thinking feet per minute and the program is thing feet per second. For my systems "mach number exceeded" is not a good sign.

But when input is irrational, the system should refuse to run the program. SW should not crash and should instead give us better advise.
                        Nothing destabilizes SW like Floworks/Flow simulation. It is very obvious that there are serious problems under the hood somewhere. I wish they'd fix them because the time wasted to the crashing and various bugs and quirks is very costly. Also reporting the issues to our VAR is incredibly expensive because you have to stop everything to spen an hour documenting every detail.

BTW, I have now see FW/FSIM crash and destabilize SW across three hardware platforms, three major versions and two operating systems ranging from a 32 bit XP with a 4GB memory footprint to a 64bit Vista with a 12GB memory footprint and eight cores.

-Martin