3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2017 6:25 PM by Brian McEwen

Autodesk fusion vs Solidworks

ERIK ELLISON

Any direct comparisons out there

• Re: Autodesk fusion vs Solidworks
          John Frahm

Just do a Google search to see what comparisons you can find. Remember, everyone has a bias. Fusion appears pretty cheap to try out.

J. Mather

Autodesk Inventor is the Autodesk product equivalent of SolidWorks, not Fusion 360.

Fusion 360 is still in infancy.

Brian McEwen

One thing that weirds me out about Fusion 360 is the way they organize files. I can't fully explain it because I haven't used it for serious assembly modeling. But lots of components don't have a life of their own, the whole assembly is one file. So it is not easy to separate a component and use it in a new assembly. If it is in a different "Project" then even more difficult.  F360 seems like it would be fine for a company that makes one-off items. But if you have a lot of reuse of sub assemblies and parts then I think it would fail. They keep changing it though, so perhaps they have addressed this more. I think sheetmetal tools were recently added.

The thing I have used it for the most is FEA Simulation. I import SolidWorks assemblies (works great, just Pack and Go your assembly to a temp folder to get it all in one place, select everything for upload). Having access to multi-body FEA that way has been nice. I do little modelling tweaks within Fusion.