6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2017 10:37 AM by Thomas S.

Add an image to a block

Joe Pickens

I am trying to create an Obsolete Block to put on a drawing when it gets obsoleted. Essentially its a stamp with 3 fields in it that i want to have linked properties.

but when i try to save it as a block it only grabs the text fields.

Is there a way to save an image into a block.

• Re: Add an image to a block
          Dave Bear

Hi Joe,

I really don't mean to sound picky here, BUT, is "obsoleted" actually a word?

Shouldn't it be more like "made obsolete", "now obsolete", or, "obsolete as of....." ?

Just wondering in case you were gonna go plastering that block everywhere (save you some embarrassment) for people to see that's all.........

Dave.

Bjorn Hulman

That's the first thing that came to my mind. "Superseded By " would be acceptable.

Joe Pickens

Thanks for the response Dave and Bjorn. As far as I know and from what I just looked up on google. Obsolete can be used as both an adjective or a verb when used in conjunction with an object. In the case of the stamp image i have its being used as a past tense verb with the object being the implied drawing it is stamped on. English class was not my strong suit though so I could be wrong.

Recreating the stamp as a sketch is a good idea and is probably what i am going to do. As far as using Superseded in lieu of Obsoleted although a much more intellectual and probably proper way of of stating the intention. I think i am going to stay with the word Obsoleted for now due to my feeling that if i use the word Superseded I might confuse some people.

Bjorn Hulman

Anyway, that looks simple enough to re-create as sketch. Just get yourself a stencil font Fancy > Stencil, Army fonts | dafont.com

Deepak Gupta

Blocks can not have image, this is a current limitation.

For your case, you can use text with mixed font type/size to get a closer to desired result.

Thomas S.

Once upon a time, this worked... Maybe it was SW2005 or SW2006, but then it stopped. I reported this as a bug at the time but apparently it got lost so I reported it again as SPR#613335. In the preview of the old blocks I can see the picture, but when adding it to a drawing it is not there.

It's a shame that a bug is not fixed for over 10 years.

I have also filed SPR's that it is not possible to store various type of annotations in blocks.

All this is very helpful when it comes to customer title blocks and speed up the process of drawings. Please also report this so we can have it fixed to SW2023 maybe. If we haven't changed CAD-system by then...