9 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2017 1:11 AM by Shaodun Lin

Is it only me, or is SolidWorks very broken?

Miles Hammond

To say I am frustrated with SolidWorks is putting it lightly. In fact, I would argue that it's getting more and more un-billable.  I work on very complicated models I get it, but that is no excuse. 

A bit of background:

I have 10 years of working on SW

We do very complex modeling as well as simple stuff.  Think Kayaks and components.

My biggest problem is there is no fix for me.  If I call tech support, I get to spend an hour of non billable time getting them to either show me one of 10 workarounds that I accidentally missed, or I am told its not possible.  Not possible is not what my client wants to here when all he as asked for is a 2mm fillet on all parts of my model.

#1. broken component - Fillets.  They just don't work and take WAY too long to get right.  Why has this not been fixed year after year.

#2. Shell feature - If you don't have a square box, don't bother using it.  Just read the SW help page to see the extensive work arounds.

#3. There is no number three- there are too many to list.  Today, I have a tree of 8 features.  I cannot view my model.  I try hiding it and showing it again.  Does not work. Updated Drivers, Updated SW.  Still cannot view.  Search web for solution - find posts from 2010 - obviously not fixed in 7 years. 

I am too angry to continue.  I hope I am the only one, but I doubt it.  I don't have the time to call SW or tech support every time there is an issue.  I would get no work done EVER!  I spend my work day in workarounds that are not billable.  Today I re-start a 40 hour model because SW does not let me work on it. 

Anyone else in despair?

• Re: Is it only me, or is SolidWorks very broken?
          Vladimir Urazhdin

What SW version you have now?

Bernie Daraz

I'm assuming that fillets are the last item in the tree. Also, in many cases fillets cannot be made all at the same time. Some may have to be before another fillet or after. Though you describe extensive experience with SW so you must know this. It may help others.

Solid Air

First I assume it is not possible to share your model with the forum?

Second I assume that you went to the Solid Bodies folder to make sure that the body is not hidden (how about appearance)?

What happens when you suppress the first 7 features in you model; does the first feature show in the graphics area?

The fact you get the same results opening your model in SW2017 indicates to me it is the model.

However, if I did not suspect the model then I would try the following.

Open SolidWorks Rx and select the System Maintenance tab.  Make sure the first four options are checked then click the Start Maintenance button.

Taking note from Rx where the SolidWorks temporary directories are.  Using Windows Explorer browse to this folder and delete all folders that start with "swx".

Open you model; can you see the model in the graphics area?

If no.  Close SolidWorks.  Run Regedit.  Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks.  Rename SOLIDWORKS 2016 to something like xSOLIDWORKS 2016 (this is so it can be renamed later if necessary).

Open SolidWorks then open your model.  Can you see the model in the graphics area?

If no, then upload you model with just the first feature (delete the rest) so the forum can look at it (or as you do not want to do contact your VAR.

(go back to regedit and delete the newly created Solidworks 2016 "folder" and rename the old one back to SOLIDWORKS 2016.

As for your first comments.  SolidWorks (maybe like other 3D packages) has limitations (I am referring to fillets and shell two features I do not use extensively because I do not design commercial equipment).  My opinion is SolidWorks is not very broken but it appears that way because they take way to long to fix broken functionality.

Miles Hammond

Thanks Solid Air for the time to try help:

First I assume it is not possible to share your model with the forum?

No, not this current model.  I will see if I can find some others as examples.  I have a folder full

Second I assume that you went to the Solid Bodies folder to make sure that the body is not hidden (how about appearance)?

Yes, multiple times.  Sometimes just hiding it and showing it again works fine.

What happens when you suppress the first 7 features in you model; does the first feature show in the graphics area?

OK, I kind of tried this where I went through the tree one by one to try and figure out what feature my body gets hidden.  The answer is several different ones.  As I delete them and re-do them (not a solution) it starts to show, but then hides on the next feature.  Its very odd. 

The fact you get the same results opening your model in SW2017 indicates to me it is the model.

Yes, its the model.  It is build off 100 surfaces and SW has a really hard time with it.  It worked fine.  I have since this post discovered that I can see my model while in section view.  Really frustrating.  As at this time I believe its the model, I don't believe its as clean as it can be with the design intent.

However, if I did not suspect the model then I would try the following.

This I have not tired, but will play around with it later in the week.  For now I have working on getting the model ready for Monday Morning. .  Its going to be a long night.

Open SolidWorks Rx and select the System Maintenance tab.  Make sure the first four options are checked then click the Start Maintenance button.

Taking note from Rx where the SolidWorks temporary directories are.  Using Windows Explorer browse to this folder and delete all folders that start with "swx".

Open you model; can you see the model in the graphics area?

If no.  Close SolidWorks.  Run Regedit.  Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks.  Rename SOLIDWORKS 2016 to something like xSOLIDWORKS 2016 (this is so it can be renamed later if necessary).

Open SolidWorks then open your model.  Can you see the model in the graphics area?

If no, then upload you model with just the first feature (delete the rest) so the forum can look at it (or as you do not want to do contact your VAR.

(go back to regedit and delete the newly created Solidworks 2016 "folder" and rename the old one back to SOLIDWORKS 2016.

As for your first comments.  SolidWorks (maybe like other 3D packages) has limitations (I am referring to fillets and shell two features I do not use extensively because I do not design commercial equipment).  My opinion is SolidWorks is not very broken but it appears that way because they take way to long to fix broken functionality.

Yes, I agree and there is no magical solution out there for my issues.  I just wonder how many others struggle on a day to day basis and just "get it done" instead of reporting it.  If I reported to SW every time there was an issue, I would get no work done.

Paul Salvador

Miles.. over the years I've seen a lot of strange stuff using surfacing or different interations of its surfacing algorithms and ui's.

2015 was worse to bad,.. 2016 was also bad but better than worse at sp5 and now 2017 sp3 also bad but better but not all that great.

They are not improving or progressing all that well,... the improvements are lackluster.. the flexibilty seems to be ok. and the errors are numerous..  not what I would have expected at this point in time. 

I have felt this since about 2010..  I'm not overly impressed with the changes to the ui or the interactive behaviors using surfacing.. 

I feel like they are trying to make it work well but not well enough.. the bigger picture is cloudy from my user perspective.

...overally... since the very beginning,.. I have felt like a beta tester using SW.

Shaodun Lin

Miles Hammond wrote:

My biggest problem is there is no fix for me.

Hi Miles:

Do you have an SPR number which is related to your biggest problem?

I can help you check the status of your SPRs.

Regards