3 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2017 3:13 PM by Mike Childers

Format text in BOM?

Mike Childers

Is there a way to format text in BOM like one can do in Excel with #'s and ?'s

• Re: Format text in BOM?
          Dan Pihlaja

I assume that you mean the placeholders that you can put into the excel format, like using a format of (000) 000-0000 for a phone number and when you type any 10 digit number, it automatically places the dashes and parenthesis?

I don't think so.....However, you CAN export your BOM to an excel table.   But I don't think that there is a way to have the BOM driven by an excel table.

You could create a design table in your assembly that is driven by an excel table.....then that design could drive custom properties/configuration specific properties of individual parts and assemblies that could then be used to drive the columns in the BOM.

Tony Cantrell

You can then place the design table in the Design Binder.

Mike Childers

Just seems like an extremely basic function that should be in any program that has text.  I mean Excel has probably had that function since 1985, but I digress.  I started this question because I wanted to format the Unit Weight column because it looked horrible.

I found a semi work around, but it's ridiculous that I had to do this.  You can set a Precision for formulas only, so I had to make another column, and have a formula ={3}'UNIT WT.'*1.0, and then hide the original column.  Ridiculous.  I'll get off my soapbox now.