2 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2017 4:14 AM by Martin Solem

Offsite EPDM Server Requirements and Best Practices

Jim Sculley

Our office will be moving to a new building in a couple of months.  Our IT group has asked me (the EPDM admin) if it would be possible to house our EPDM servers offsite, either at our corporate headquarters or in a data center.  I'm sure that some of you are already doing this, so I am looking for best practice information to ensure that my users would not negatively impacted by this change.  Aside from making sure the servers are adequate in terms of processor speed, memory and storage it seems that the main requirement will be that the data connection to the remote location has sufficient speed, bandwidth and reliability to support our needs.  Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

It is also possible that they may request that the servers be virtualized to take advantage of the capabilities of modern data centers.  It looks like this is officially supported by SOLIDWORKS as of SW 2015.  For those of you working with virtualized EPDM servers, what are the pros, cons and gotchas?

• Re: Offsite EPDM Server Requirements and Best Practices
          Michael Dekoning

Jim,

Our "main" archive server and SQL Server server are in a data center with the other replicated archive servers at their various locations. We've seen no issues.

We actually have been using virtual servers for years. Again no issues. One advantage is it is easy for IT to add hard drive storage.

• Re: Offsite EPDM Server Requirements and Best Practices
            Martin Solem

Hi Jim,

Hosting a server is really just extending your network. The connection is the thing to worry about. Speed, latency and quality (packet loss and reliability).

You should perform some tests on your existing system. Pick a selection of light, medium and heavy assemblies and write down the time it takes to Get Latest/bring up Get latest dialog, View data card, Right click menu, Check out/bring up Check out dialog, make a small change, save, Check in/bring up Check in dialog. - The most common daily commands.

Then you will have something to compare with a new, or better if you get the opportunity, a test environment on the hosted system.

Kind regards

Martin