13 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2017 2:53 PM by Alex Lachance

Selecting annotations in an assembly

Alex Lachance

Hello,

I have a few questions about annotation selection.

First off, is there a way to find out to what component an annotation is linked? Say I see a floating annotation in an assembly model, is there a way for me to know that this annotation is in this specific part.

Second, is there a way to select an annotation to delete it? I always have a hard time selecting an annotation in a model, having to spin it to get it to show and then find the exact spot the arrow is hooked on to be able to select it. I recently ran into a few annotations that didn't have arrows showing where they were hooked and the result was that I wasn't able to select them to completely remove them. Is there a way to do so?

Please, do not tell me to use the hide annotations, I've seen too many discussions of people asking the same thing than me and getting the answer of using the ''Hide/show annotations''. I want my annotations to show, and I want them to be removed once I have adressed them.

Regards

• Re: Selecting annotations in an assembly
          Glenn Schroeder

Alex Lachance wrote:

Hello,

I have a few questions about annotation selection.

First off, is there a way to find out to what component an annotation is linked? Say I see a floating annotation in an assembly model, is there a way for me to know that this annotation is in this specific part.  That sounds like the leader has been removed from the Note.  I can't imagine why anyone would do that in an Assembly, but nothing else makes sense.  I'm pretty sure the Note would have needed to have a leader attached to a component in order to link it to the part's custom property.  If that's the case, try clicking on a Note to open it's Property Manager.  Click on the icon circled below to make the leader appear and see what it's attached to.

Second, is there a way to select an annotation to delete it? I always have a hard time selecting an annotation in a model, having to spin it to get it to show and then find the exact spot the arrow is hooked on to be able to select it.

You shouldn't need to click on the end of a Note to delete it.  You should be able to delete it by clicking on the text.  And the option shown below may help.

I recently ran into a few annotations that didn't have arrows showing where they were hooked and the result was that I wasn't able to select them to completely remove them. Is there a way to do so?

See above.

Please, do not tell me to use the hide annotations, I've seen too many discussions of people asking the same thing than me and getting the answer of using the ''Hide/show annotations''. I want my annotations to show, and I want them to be removed once I have adressed them.

Regards

Sorry, but I almost never use Annotations directly in my models, so that's all I can help with.

Alex Lachance

Thanks Glenn but unfortunately that doesn't help as I already have that setting.

Here is the note floating I am talking about:

There is no way for me to select it that I found as of now. The annotation was made in the assembly and was hooked on a part. When I tried to remove it, it deleted the leader instead of the whole annotation, now I can't select it.

My question wasn't in regards to linking the annotation to a custom property but merely to be able to locate the annotation more precisely as you need to be in the correct assembly/part in order to be able to remove it as far as I'm aware.

Christian Chu

First off, is there a way to find out to what component an annotation is linked? Say I see a floating annotation in an assembly model, is there a way for me to know that this annotation is in this specific part.

Select annotation and the component will be highlight

Second, is there a way to select an annotation to delete it? I always have a hard time selecting an annotation in a model, having to spin it to get it to show and then find the exact spot the arrow is hooked on to be able to select it. I recently ran into a few annotations that didn't have arrows showing where they were hooked and the result was that I wasn't able to select them to completely remove them. Is there a way to do so?

I think you'd better edit component and delete annotation  since you might accidentally delete the component

Alex Lachance

Hello Christian, thanks for your response.

That'd be great but as I said, my problem is that, most of the times, I have a hard time selecting it or simply can't select it. I've looked into the filter selections and nothing mentions annotations. If I try a cross window that covers my whole model, it still doesn't select it and neither does clicking on it.

I wish I could edit the component to delete the annotation but I can't select the annotation to find out where it is located in the first place. Your tip about components being highlighted when the annotation is selecting is dully noted though, as I hadn't thought about that. I do not use the ''scroll to selected item into view'' for the feature manager as it annoys me, so hopefully I can right click on the annotation and click on ''Go to component(in tree)''.

Regards,

Christian Chu

It's a little bit tricky sometimes - see below image

When I selected "new wall pivot", the other "Front Plane" and "Right Plane" are highlight - which leaded me to the component included that annotation

Alex Lachance

Christian, most of the time, I cannot select annotations and that is my problem.

Today, I tried to delete the annotation I showed in the screenshot I posted and everything went through fine, I had no trouble selecting it and deleting it. Did the same thing I was doing last week and I did this all after restarting SolidWorks and my computer.

Could the ''Display notes flat to screen'' setting need some sort of refresh once in a while? I had it on and checked to make sure it was on when it was brought up but that's it.

David Nelson

Try clicking on it then hit delete.  Sometimes they do not highlight and delete still work.  Before going farther make sure everything else is still there.  If not use the undo button.