17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2017 3:39 AM by Alexander Smith

Overclocked CPUs for Solidworks Visualize and Solidworks and other questions.

Alexander Smith

Hi Everyone.

I have been working out a new specification for a system that I will use to run Solidworks and Visualize on. I do a lot of furniture and interiors renders and I am working towards really high quality photographic renders in the future. I recently did a job which my current iMac 2013 running bootcamp could not handle and I need to update my system. The main elements of interest from the current spec' I am looking at are:

- Intel® Core™i7 Eight Core Processor i7-6900K (3.3GHz) 20MB Cache

- 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 16GB)

- 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce

I am interested to know more about processor overclocking and whether anyone might think it better / safer to just go for a higher core i7 processor or whether there is an advantage to overclocking. Are there issues with overheating or stability?

Also if people think it better to put my budget into two 1080ti cards and perhaps less cores on the processor? I understand that VRAM is not additive. Obviously I double up the CUDA cores to 7168 cores which is great, but will the system suffer as a result of potentially down-spec'ing the processor to a 6 core i7 to free up budget for the second GPU?

Finally, will 'only' 32 gb of RAM be enough?

I want to get some really quick work-flow and 'rezing-up' when working in the application and faster output renders (down to a coupe of hours for a 3000 pass, 300ppi, 2500 x 1406 render for say a 30 million polygon scene) so that I can benefit from a more efficient work-flow and much higher application stability.

Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Message was edited by: Alexander Smith