2 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2017 8:25 AM by Glenn Schroeder

settings

Richard Dierks

Hello,

I'm a one-seat home business user, no network or permissions constraints.  I just did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro on my Puget Systems Echo Pro because System Restore had stopped working.

Since reinstalling SolidWorks 2015 SP5, I've tried what I can to get my settings reinstalled, including the Copy Settings Wizard and manually copying the swsettings.sldreg file to a folder I created years ago so I could find it.  I directed (browsed) the Wizard to that folder because it was looking at the external storage drive where I had stored it, otherwise the default settings location would be fine at this point.  The problem is I can't tell where the default location is.  Nothing I can find in System Options>file locations or HELP identifies the physical location of settings.  One would expect it to show up along with templates and such.

I created new settings in an assembly file and saved it with the Copy Settings Wizard to my made up folder.  That worked for assemblies but not for parts.  I even added the path to my setting's folder in System Options>Search Paths.

Not clear how the Wizard knows where my made up folder is, but SW doesn't.  It did occur to me that settings might be propagated through templates, but if so I still need to get SW to find the settings file.

Hopefully, the resolution will be embarrassingly simple.

Richard Dierks

• Re: settings
          Ryan Dark

Hi Richard,

It is not totally clear to me what you are looking at doing but I will try to offer some help here.  The default folder to save out a Copy Settings Wizard file is in the "Documents" folder for your user ("Documents" as listed under the Windows Start menu).  I am not sure if that is the location you are looking for.  Now, if you are looking for where the settings are stored as the program is working with them then they are within the Windows Registry in this location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks

The actively used settings in the program have no file where they are stored otherwise.  So, you wouldn't find a file location under 'File Locations' in the SOLIDWORKS Options for these settings.

Regarding your assembly settings, if you are referring to the items listed under 'Tools', 'Options', 'Document Properties' then those settings are stored in the template files.  If you had updated the assembly template with new Document Properties then these settings would not propagate to the part or drawing template(s).  The part and drawing templates would themselves need to also have their 'Document Properties' updated and re-saved.  This document notes all the settings that are part of part/assembly/drawing templates (GoEngineer - How to Adjust Template Settings).

• Re: settings
            Glenn Schroeder

"I created new settings in an assembly file and saved it with the Copy Settings Wizard to my made up folder."

Like Ryan Dark, I'm not real clear on your issue, but that statement makes it sound like you're trying to save Document Properties with the Copy Settings Wizard.  That won't work.  The Copy Settings Wizard is for saving System Options, toolbar setups, etc.  For Document Properties you need to save the document templates.  See #26 at FAQ - Part 2.