8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2017 9:42 AM by Rich Fagioli

Corner Radius Adjustment: Why so finicky?

Rich Fagioli

After considerable trial and error, I got this result:

12x12Starter kit 6.jpg

It's borderline OK, but the 0.3mm corner radius and finish is pretty accurate for a machined and tumble part. However, if I try to apply a "bump" to my surface or if I ungroup my part and try to apply a spherical map to my bolt head, I lose my corner radius:

12x12Starter kit 7.jpg

....and so I ask the community:

• How do I retain my corner radius on my part after applying a bump texture? Dialing down the bump strength to almost zero doesn't bring back my corner radius.
      • How do I retain my corner radius(es) on each part of my group after ungrouping? I've tried applying the corner radius on every individual part, without success.
        • Re: Corner Radius Adjustment: Why so finicky?
          Ivan Kharpalev

Hi, Rich!
          Looks good!)
          What do you mean by "apply corner radius". You mean "make filet" in SW? Or you are talking about some property related to visualization?

Rich Fagioli

Ivan, the corner radius is applied in Visualize, presumably to soften the harsh edge that results at the meeting of two planes. It's applied when right-clicking on a part and selecting "Part Properties".

David Nelson

Just for my knowledge is this between two parts.  Or planes in one part. If it is between 2 parts this may be the answer he is looking for.

Rich Fagioli

...this between two parts. Or planes in one part.

And this may be part of my difficulty: To any normal human, there are three (shiny metal) parts, in the example above: a bolt, a washer, and a clamp. Never mind the blank flange, Allen screws, or blue chassis.

However, when imported and structure maintained, there are more than 25; seven of which are the planes that make up the bolt in my image above. So, what's a "part"? An assembly of surfaces?

Brian Hillner

Hi Rich,

Sorry to hear about your corner radius woes. Part of the issue might be the high number of parts you are experiencing upon import. I suggest to try 'Appearance' or 'Automatic' for the part grouping upon first import. Other SW users have said that 'Layer/Appearance' gives results in a good part break-up in Visualize.

If you have SW CAD 2017 & Visualize 2017, you can use the new Visualize Add-in for SW CAD. More about how to use this new Add-in in this link, and make sure to watch the video at the bottom of the post!

Importing Motion Studies into SOLIDWORKS Visualize Professional 2017

Watch this first tutorial to learn more about importing CAD files into Visualize:

Import & CAD Live-Update | MySolidWorks Training

Rich Fagioli

Thanks for your help guys, but I think I found a solution to one of my problems. Adjusting the import settings, as per Brian Hillner's suggestion yielded unpredictable results, for reasons I have yet to figure out; perhaps the fault lies within our own assembly files. However, easily extracting a part (in the conventional sense) from a group is possible; the instructions for doing so are in the "Help" menu:

After finagling the facet angle settings up (up 180 degrees) for a few minutes, it was possible to separate the bolt from the clamp and apply appearances separately and intuitively while maintaining a corner radius. Here they are, colored garishly, for illustrative purposes:

Now it's a simple matter to apply the same appearance each of my 30 bolt heads, without applying the same appearance to the clamp itself. However, it wasn't possible to apply a Bump map to my part without losing my corner radius. Perhaps the corner radius must be baked into the SW part file. I find this to be a potential limitation to the Visualization process as many manufacturer-provided .stp files won't have edge radiuses. In losing the corner radius with a bump map it is not possible to apply a basic crinkled powder coating to a part.

Ron Bates

Hi Rich,

Corner Radius not working once there is a bump map added to the material attached to the part, seems to be a limitation in iRay we'll have to discuss with nVidia.

On the one hand, this makes some amount of sense since Corner Radius isn't actually modifying the geometry, but rather modifying the normals of the geometry at the sharp corners, to give the illusion there is a rounded edge.  This modification of normals is precisely what bump mapping does...where the bump map image is providing the renderer information on how to change the angles on surface normals so that reflections appear different, thus providing the illusion of a bumpy surface.  Combining the latter, with the former, would seem to cause some conflict.

On the other hand, other systems support this, so as I said, we'll raise it up with nVidia and see if it's not something that can be resolved going forward.

Rich Fagioli

Ron Bates wrote:

On the one hand, this makes some amount of sense since Corner Radius isn't actually modifying the geometry, but rather modifying the normals of the geometry at the sharp corners, to give the illusion there is a rounded edge. This modification of normals is precisely what bump mapping does...where the bump map image is providing the renderer information on how to change the angles on surface normals so that reflections appear different, thus providing the illusion of a bumpy surface. Combining the latter, with the former, would seem to cause some conflict.

That's pretty much what I figured and without some way to relate bump dimension to corner radius, I could see a conflict arising.

On a side note, but totally related to this topic, I've noticed that the corner radius can only be applied to "Merged Parts". In fact, it is impossible to apply a corner radius to all of the edges of a simple cube if each of the faces is its own part; it can only be applied if the 6 faces are merged into a single part. This poses difficulties when rendering machined parts as there are often edges requiring a corner radius, that have differing textures to either side, say, milled on one face and ground on the adjacent face.