9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2017 4:05 PM by Rick Becker

Old sketch objects change dimension to fit newest object relations

Dave Robinson

This characteristic of SW seems to have changed at some point over the last couple of years, I don't remember it being this way, so I'm guessing there may be a setting to change it back...

Issue: I create, say, a rectangle, set the dimensions of the sides and then go to create a circle that I want to be tangent to the sides of a corner. When setting the tangent relations, SW changes the dimensions of the rectangle (that I drew first) to make the circle tangent to the edge, and not the circle dimension. Does it not make sense that a newly-created sketch object would want to have it's dimensions changed to fit whatever is there presently and not the other way around?  This is a really basic thing, but it's fantastically annoying. Possibly just to me!

YES, I know I could smart dimension/set relations for the first object(s) to fully define before moving on, but that's another few clicks, of which we're all making a few thousand daily. In the name of speed, is there a setting that causes 'newer' sketch objects to change dimension in preference to 'older'?

• Re: Old sketch objects change dimension to fit newest object relations
          Glenn Schroeder

Dave Robinson wrote:

This characteristic of SW seems to have changed at some point over the last couple of years, I don't remember it being this way, so I'm guessing there may be a setting to change it back...

Issue: I create, say, a rectangle, set the dimensions of the sides and then go to create a circle that I want to be tangent to the sides of a corner. When setting the tangent relations, SW changes the dimensions of the rectangle (that I drew first) to make the circle tangent to the edge, and not the circle dimension. Does it not make sense that a newly-created sketch object would want to have it's dimensions changed to fit whatever is there presently and not the other way around? This is a really basic thing, but it's fantastically annoying. Possibly just to me!

YES, I know I could smart dimension/set relations for the first object(s) to fully define before moving on, but that's another few clicks, of which we're all making a few thousand daily. In the name of speed, is there a setting that causes 'newer' sketch objects to change dimension in preference to 'older'?

How are you "setting the dimensions of the sides of the rectangle?  If you're using the Smart Dimension tool then they shouldn't be changing.  If you're setting them in the Rectangle's Property Manager then that's expected behavior, since those aren't driving dimensions.

Dave Robinson

Hi Glenn, yes, set in properties.  To reiterate, I realise why the 'issue' is occurring & have no problems getting around it, & I fully understand driving dimensions.  It's all just about speed of workflow; I would personally find it far more logical if the most recent object sketched was the one that was made to fit what was there already!

Perhaps it seems a very minor concern to anyone, but when one's sat doing this hours on end, such little nuance behaviours can add up to a fair time (perhaps even as much as my time spent tying this... oh well!).

Dan Pihlaja

You could turn these options on:

Then when you create the geometry, and fill in the length (or diameter, etc...) the dimension is created for you.

I personally don't use it though.

Dave Robinson

Yes, I have that turned on, which is how I set the dimension, but this is the same effect as creating then setting in properties manager, albeit with fewer clicks. It does not prevent the change of older object dimensions/positions to fit new object dimensions.

Try something; create one rectangle of any dimension, than another rectangle near it but separate. Now smart dimension between the two. Why would you want the first one you drew to move instead of the newer one?

BTW, I do apologise for being so pedantic! Discussion appreciated

Dan Pihlaja

It shouldn't have the same effect.   Especially if you have the 2nd option turned on that I show like Glenn Schroeder suggested.   If you have the "create dimension only when value is entered" option turned on, then an actual smart dimension is created, defining the size of the item that you just created.

If you are not creating a smart dimension, then Solidworks just assumes that you want the geometry to free float.   I don't fully know what decides what is the driver when nothing is fully defined, but I wouldn't rely on that.  I know that there are other CAD programs where, if you place a line in a sketch, then the line WILL NOT MOVE at all unless prompted to by the user or all other geometry is constrained.   But Solidworks isn't like that.  Not defined is exactly that in Solidworks......not defined, i.e., chaotic. 

Glenn Schroeder

Dave Robinson wrote:

Try something; create one rectangle of any dimension, than another rectangle near it but separate. Now smart dimension between the two. Why would you want the first one you drew to move instead of the newer one?

That's why I almost always start a sketch with the first element anchored to the origin, other sketch geometry, model feature, etc.  Then that won't happen.

Glenn Schroeder

I'd suggest abandoning adding dimensions in the Property Manager.  It's a waste of time, which you said you're trying to save.  I'd also suggest you try the options in Dan's screenshot.  I keep them turned on and use them often.  With the second one (grayed out in the screenshot) turned on dimensions will only be placed if you enter a value, so it doesn't have to interfere with your current workflow.

Dan Pihlaja

Fully defining as you go is the best way......any other way is going to end in frustration for all parties involved.

I suppose the other option is to set it and then fix it in place.....but I don't recommend that.

Rick Becker

Dave Robinson wrote:

This is a really basic thing, but it's fantastically annoying. Possibly just to me!

Dave, I also find  fantastically annoying. (love the adjective) You are not alone and I suspect this bugs most users.

There are dozens of fantastically annoying quirks in SW. Especially coming from a CAD system that, to me, has a common sense as a foundational building block.

As an example, 99.99% of the time, on my first Extrude Boss/Base, I need to change the direction.

How hard would it be to include a little AI with repetitive tasks?