4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2017 2:59 PM by Dennis Dohogne

Do you always use a reference image or blueprints?

Eric Eubanks

Do you usually use a reference image or blueprints to make things in solidworks or do you just have an idea in your mind and make it?

• Re: Do you always use a reference image or blueprints?
          John Stoltzfus

Both plus dimension actual pcs...

Jim Steinmeyer

Most of the time I have an idea of what is needed and imagine what might be used to fit the need. Some times I will take an existing model and edit it. Other times I will take an existing assembly and create a part to fit the attachment points that serves the need we have.

Dan Pihlaja

It all depends on the situation and what I am doing.

If I am doing product design, then having a good idea in your head before you start is good practice.  Although, sometimes to do that, there is quite a bit of study to go through.    I have quite literally spent 2 weeks researching before putting anything into CAD at all.  The research can consist of studying the customer requirements, and how others have done something similar, if at all.

If I am not doing product design, but instead doing manufacturing design, then again, sometimes there is a research time frame (especially if I am just learning the process that we are going to be manufacturing it/holding it with).  Then, it is a good idea to sit down with someone who has done this many times before and ask a crap load of questions.  Never ever, act like you know what you are doing if you DON'T know what you are doing.  Keep asking questions/looking things up until you understand at least the basics.

Dennis Dohogne

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

<snip>.....

Then, it is a good idea to sit down with someone who has done this many times before and ask a crap load of questions. Never ever, act like you know what you are doing if you DON'T know what you are doing. Keep asking questions/looking things up until you understand at least the basics.

Thank you, Dan.  This cannot be stressed enough!  Learn, learn, learn.  I've been using SWX steadily since 1995 and am still learning about it and the myriad of processes available to accomplish something.  I must say, though, that it is a bit humorous to explain the facts of life to my boss when he sees a solution as an injection molded part, but the volume might never reach 50 units.  Never a dull moment!