9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2017 12:58 PM by Wayne Marshall

PDM standard installation - stuck creating vault

Gordon Rigg

My continuing nightmare trying to install something that is included "free" with my solidworks professional licences...

I thought the problem was the licence server manager service wasnt running, which turned out to be because you have to obtain the release of your (included with your installation) licence from your VAR.

So now I have three licences, linked to my SW pro installation licences, but to get them I had to sign a release form saying how I'm willing to go it alone and forgo support from my VAR on something included in my annual maintenance price! So now any support they now provide will be strictly limited (that is I had to agree they wont support the installation of a product for which support is included in my annual maintenance fee - perhaps someone else can help me understand that!).

So they wont support me installing it, and I cant get it to run. So the arguments about how I'm gong to get my WGPDM data into it are somewhat irrelevant for now.

Anyway, that got me passed one hurdle. All the services are now running on my server. But I still cant create a my vault.

I run the create new vault wizard

give my vault a name and description

Then I fail at this step:

Untitled.png

Any ideas?

• Re: PDM standard installation - stuck creating vault
          Prasad Bhonsule

Hi Gordon, it (the error) generally means that the licenses can't be communicated to from PDM. The License manager uses specific ports (25734, 25735) to communicate with applications that needs licenses such as SolidWorks or PDM.

On the server where you have installed the License Manager, check your firewall. If it is enabled, add an exception for the ports mentioned above for inbound connections. Make sure you add separate rules for TCP and UDP, as I have seen strange behaviour when only doing TCP.

Here is a link with instructions on opening ports in Firewalls: Configuring Windows firewall program exceptions and port exceptions for System Recovery Or if you jusy google it, you are bound to find something.

After you install PDM, you will also need to create rules in the firewall for the PDM application ports (1433, 1434 for the database server (SQL), and 3030 for the Archive Server)

Hope this help somewhat, if you have any questions, please let me know

Kind regards

Prasad

Steven Smith

They wont provide support because you are carrying out the installation of PDM on your own.

They need to carry out the full installation by one of their tech staff to ensure it is installed correctly and to their protocol procedures etc.

If you don't let them, you wont be supported.

If they refuse. Ditch them and change VAR.

Wayne Marshall

Gordon,

After you click 'Start' and nothing happens what does the log file say?

It can be a problem with unreleased / incorrect previous activations on the Server but could also be a result of incorrect permissions on the registry keys that are set by the License Manager when it starts up and creates the license file on Activation. This could be changed, or you could try to run the SNL Service as an elevated User (eg Administrator) who has those permissions, but we would need an error code or similar from the log file to be more specific.

I'm heading out for a couple of hours but will check this thread on my return to see if there is anything I can suggest.

Kind regards

Wayne