2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2017 10:15 AM by Ian Ladner

How to setup flow across a pipe?

Ian Ladner

All,

I am a graduate student creating simulation modules for undergrads. I am trying to setup what should be a simple simulation of 30 m/s flow of air perpendicular to a 19 mm diameter pipe. I have converted to using external flow to remove the need for boundary conditions. I am running as a 2D simulation to reduce computational time. However, I have yet to find a mesh to produces accurate results. Either I get a mesh that produced the correct downstream velocity profile and the wrong pressure profile or the correct pressure profile and correct velocity profile which has a minimum velocity over 10x smaller than measured experimentally. Any suggestions to solve the problem whether mesh or otherwise?

Thank you,

Ian

• Re: How to setup flow across a pipe?
          Siavash Khajehhasani

upload your file, if possible; with expected results info.

• Re: How to setup flow across a pipe?
              Ian Ladner

Attached in the part file. I am using external flow, Air for the fluid, ATM pressure with a 30 m/s velocity in the x direction. The computational domain is:
              X: 0 to 0.8128 m

Y: 0.1524 to -0.1524 m

Z: auto generate for the 2D simulation (I believe around 0.032 to -0.032 m)

Desired results:
              A) The correct pressure profile on the offset plane. It should go from the minimum value at the cylinder to the maximum value near the edge of the computational domain. Better results would have a delta around 100 Pa between max and min.
              B) The correct velocity profile on the offset plane. It should go from the minimum value at the cylinder to the maximum value near the edge of the computational domain. Better results would have a delta around 5 to 10 m/s between max and min.