25 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2017 12:31 PM by Cad Admin

VBA Replace Text in Note

Cad Admin

i have a set of drawings i need to replace part numbers.  Part numbers on drawing are always between Quotes ("").  Existing part numbers on drawings format vary.  I want to find all quoted text on the drawing and replace with new part number.

Examples:

text in drawing "123456-00" replace with "789456-00"

text in drawing "12-25165-00" replace with "789456-00"

text in drawing "QQ-25165D-00" replace with "789456-00"

So basically Find "ANY THING QUOTED" replace with defined new number "789456-00"

I looked at #Task, might work, but I'm not allowed to install it, do to IT restrictions.

• Re: VBA Replace Text in Note
          Deepak Gupta

You can use this macro and edit as needed: Change Note Text Example (VBA)

Cad Admin

Thanks I will take a look at it more...i had seen it but seemed i still would have to "define" what to search for.  Basically I need to replace anything between the quotes...regardless of what it is.

Deepak Gupta

Just used the codes form the same macro and changed to these. This macro will also change notes in the sheet format also.

Option Explicit
                  Sub main()
                      Dim swApp           As SldWorks.SldWorks
                      Dim swModel         As SldWorks.ModelDoc
                      Dim swDraw          As SldWorks.DrawingDoc
                      Dim swView          As SldWorks.View
                      Dim swNote          As SldWorks.Note

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks
                      Set swModel = swApp.ActiveDoc
                      Set swDraw = swModel
                      Set swView = swDraw.GetFirstView

While Not swView Is Nothing
                          Set swNote = swView.GetFirstNote
                          While Not swNote Is Nothing
                                If swNote.GetText Like Chr(34) & "*" & Chr(34) Then swNote.SetText Chr(34) & "789456-00" & Chr(34)
                          Set swNote = swNote.GetNext
                          Wend
                          Set swView = swView.GetNextView
                      Wend
                  End Sub

Cad Admin

Deepak,

The code works, but only if the note is the just the quoted text.  If the note contains any other text, it wont change it.

Deepak Gupta

Cad Admin wrote:

So basically Find "ANY THING QUOTED" replace with defined new number "789456-00"

Examples:

text in drawing "123456-00" replace with "789456-00"

text in drawing "12-25165-00" replace with "789456-00"

text in drawing "QQ-25165D-00" replace with "789456-00"

The code works, but only if the note is the just the quoted text.

That was what you asked for

Cad Admin

Deepak,

Guess i should have elaborated...i have a note like:

All parts must be stamped/ etched,

1/4"  & filled with white paint.

Customer P/N: "123456-00"

Qty order: 1200

I need to get any quoted string, in this case "123456-00" and replace...

Steven Barry

I already see one potential hurdle to overcome:  your first quotation mark occurs on 1/4"

You will probably need to think about how you can restrict your search to avoid those kind of conflicts.  For example:  will it only be a continuous string with no spaces?  Or perhaps just filter out anything with a newline in between?  What would happen if you have more than one string like 1/4" in your note?

Cad Admin

Deepak,

Small side question...on the API example Change Note Text Example (VBA) when i run the macro, even if the macro doesn't find anything to change, it changes the formatting of all the notes it reads to what i believe is the document font defaults.

So if the original note was 14pt bold times new roman, the macro will change it to 12pt aerial...

Christian Chu

Cad Admin

Part Number is a CusProp while "text on the drawing" is note - so you want to replace note on the dwg with a cusprop (part #)?

Cad Admin

I currently have or do a find and replace of known strings.

What I'm trying to do is scan a drawing...look for ANY quoted text.  The quoted text could be anything.   Then i could replace the text with my new string. 

Basically:

1.) Find any text between Quotes.  something like FIND "*"....just don't have a wildcard function I'm aware of....

a.) Could be "23456"

b.) Could be "jenaydksf13232",

c.) Could be "The rain in Spain..."

2.) Replace with known text.

Christian Chu

Seems to me like you know exactly what to do so what's your question?

Cad Admin

Function-wise i understand it, but getting the VBA to grab ANY text between quotes is my issue. I've done it if i predefined the "find" string.  But in this case i need to use find ANYTHING with quotes.

Christian Chu

I see - Here is a code you can use to find string of characters between quote in a variable string which is note on the drawing

then you can use replace function to replace it with "789456-00"

Interesting that Keith Rice

also provides a free macro which you can use - All you need is to sign up to be member

Cad Admin

Christian,

I had found that via google as well, I couldn't see any VB that would apply, especially seeing I'm not searching cells, rows, or columns...

Christian Chu

Try this

Dim sNote As String
                                                  Dim sPartNumber As String

sNote = "alksdfjlksdfj l" & Chr(34) & "123456-00" & Chr(34) & "ladksjfldasfkj"
                                                  sPartNumber = Mid(sNote, InStr(1, sNote, Chr(34), vbTextCompare) + 2, InStr(InStr(1, sNote, Chr(34), vbTextCompare) + 1, sNote, Chr(34), vbTextCompare) - InStr(1, sNote, Chr(34), vbTextCompare) - 2)

MsgBox sPartNumber

and here is the one including replace function

Dim sNote As String

sPartNumber = Mid(sNote, InStr(1, sNote, Chr(34), vbTextCompare) + 2, InStr(InStr(1, sNote, Chr(34), vbTextCompare) + 1, sNote, Chr(34), vbTextCompare) - InStr(1, sNote, Chr(34), vbTextCompare) - 2)

Debug.Print sPartNumber
                                                  Dim sNewNote As String
                                                  sNewNote = Replace(sNote, "123456-00", "789456-00")
                                                  Debug.Print sNewNote

Christian Chu
                                                      1. Dim sNote As String 
                                                      2. Dim sPartNumber As String 
                                                      5. sNote = "alksdfjlksdfj l" & Chr(34) & "123456-00" & Chr(34) & "ladksjfldasfkj" 
                                                      6. sPartNumber = Mid(sNote, InStr(1, sNote, Chr(34), vbTextCompare) + 2, InStr(InStr(1, sNote, Chr(34), vbTextCompare) + 1, sNote, Chr(34), vbTextCompare) - InStr(1, sNote, Chr(34), vbTextCompare) - 2) 
                                                      9. MsgBox sPartNumber 

and here is the one including replace function

1. Dim sNote As String 
                                                      2. Dim sPartNumber As String 
                                                      5. sNote = "alksdfjlksdfj l" & Chr(34) & "123456-00" & Chr(34) & "ladksjfldasfkj" 
                                                      6. sPartNumber = Mid(sNote, InStr(1, sNote, Chr(34), vbTextCompare) + 2, InStr(InStr(1, sNote, Chr(34), vbTextCompare) + 1, sNote, Chr(34), vbTextCompare) - InStr(1, sNote, Chr(34), vbTextCompare) - 2) 
                                                      9. Debug.Print sPartNumber 
                                                      10. Dim sNewNote As String 
                                                      11. sNewNote = Replace(sNote, "123456-00", "789456-00") 
                                                      12. Debug.Print sNewNote 
                                                          Christian Chu

Test

Dim sNote As String

Debug.Print sPartNumber
                                                          Dim sNewNote As String
                                                          sNewNote = Replace(sNote, "123456-00", "789456-00")
                                                          Debug.Print sNewNote

Christian Chu

Ok here is the good one after clean it up

Dim sNote As String

sNote = "Some notes" & Chr(34) & "123456-00" & Chr(34) & "Some notes"
                                                              sPartNumber = Mid(sNote, InStr(1, sNote, Chr(34), vbTextCompare) + 1, InStr(InStr(1, sNote, Chr(34), vbTextCompare) + 2, sNote, Chr(34), vbTextCompare) - InStr(1, sNote, Chr(34), vbTextCompare) - 1)

Debug.Print sPartNumber
                                                              Dim sNewNote As String
                                                              sNewNote = Replace(sNote, sPartNumber, "789456-00")
                                                              Debug.Print sNewNote

Cad Admin

Christian,

Could work, BUT, i cannot predefine what each note will have (possibilities are endless) in between the quotes...  sort of like needing a wildcard on the

Guess i should have elaborated...i have a note like:

All parts must be stamped/ etched,

1/4"  & filled with white paint.

Customer P/N: "123456-00"

Qty order: 1200

Every drawing is going to have a different quoted number, therefor it cant be predefined...

Need to scan notes, and replace only quoted text.