34 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2017 6:21 AM by John Stoltzfus

SolidWorks Buyback, Who's In?

Chris Clouser

Remember when Harley Davidson was a steaming pile spiraling into the toilet and the employees purchased it and turned it around?

How about all the employees and users organize and buy SolidWorks back from Dassault and turn it back into a customer-oriented product that we can all be proud of?

We would remove full backdating.

We could fix this new issue of the home seat being deactivated.

We could fix ONE and TWO (and THREE).

Imagine...

Who's in?

• Re: SolidWorks Buyback, Who's In?
          Doug Seibel

Things like this are why Matt Lombard (author of the Solidworks Bible) switched to Solid Edge several years ago...

Ryan McVay

Chris Clouser I would be for this but sometimes it is much easier to tear down the old house and put a new house than attempt to remodel the existing one with bearing walls all over the place. Which is the conclusion that Dassault Systems came to in 2009 and why they made all the "odd" announcements and started building out the 3DEXPERIENCE. I don't think this would be a wise investment.

Chris Saller

Good luck.

I'm not a reactionary person. I would have to study more about customers, technologies, financials, etc, etc, before I would attempt something like this.

BTW,

I have gone to SWW, asked around, Googled around, etc.

WTF is "ONE and TWO and THREE?" ?

It was said, joked, etc at SWW, and assumed that everyone knew what it was.

Nobody I have asked had a good answer. Some that probably knew I forgot to ask.

John Stoltzfus

First - who is going to direct it - Bernie Madoff??

or Jon Hirschtick

Or one of the moderators

Rick Becker

Dassault Systems is BIG. That's more money than the bunch of us could muster.

What we need is a multi billionaire that knows CAD purchase the company. Of course the bean counters and marketing would still be in charge...

Dassault Systemes

• Market Cap  As of May 2016
                  • $20.2 Billion

Only viable option, switch to a software of your choosing. If enough switch, the bean counters will change the direction the ship is sailing.

Chris Clouser

We don't want Dassault.  They can take a flying you-know-what.

We just want their gimp SolidWorks.

This happens all the time.  A company comes out, is growing, is doing great, gets bought by satan.  Then satan sucks the everloving life out of the subsidiary and all the magic is gone.  Then eventually the shell of the asset gets sold and somebody else gets to revitalize it.

Unfortunately, in this case, SWX is still a pretty big cash cow, despite their loss of focus on the customer.  In other words, the crack they are selling isn't first rate.  It's been cut and is poor quality.  But because of our expensive legacy data, we're all hooked on this brand of crack.

And of course SolidWorks doesn't get it.  There are people there who do, but they keep quiet.

Bob Bob

How about stop paying your service contract for starters?

I don't know who gets that money but I really don't need a new version every 12 months.

It takes a year to get the bugs out anyway still using 15 at work and 16 at home.

I can live without this forum I get more answers from youtube and the internet anyways.

By stopping the contract money cash flow it should get someones attension.

Didn't that happen to Netflixs?

Chris Clouser

Bob Bob wrote:

How about stop paying your service contract for starters?

I don't know who gets that money but I really don't need a new version every 12 months.

It takes a year to get the bugs out anyway still using 15 at work and 16 at home.

I can live without this forum I get more answers from youtube and the internet anyways.

By stopping the contract money cash flow it should get someones attension.

Didn't that happen to Netflixs?

You're pretty much right Bob.

The only way for us to now get SWX's attention is to stop paying maintenance.  But it would have to be a majority of users.

WE NEED A SWX USERS UNION, where we organize as consumers and take this software back.

As I understand it, SolidWorks accounts for only about 20% of Dassault's revenue, but 50% of their profit!  If this is true, SWX is the goose that is laying the golden eggs, and it's mostly due to maintenance income.  That's why they have made it nearly impossible for us to skip a year or two, with their evil full-backdating policy.

If third party companies came along, or if possible existing VAR's, that would provide tech support without the software updates, many companies would feel more comfortable going off maintenance for awhile.  This would hopefully jump start SolidWork's heart, not unlike a defibrillator, so that they would no longer be a zombie corporation but a compassionate partner with their customers.

I actually wish companies would require their employees to pay for their own software.  This may at first sound ludicrous, but if you think about it, mechanics buy their own tools, even when they work for a company that isn't theirs.  Why not engineers and designers?  There could be an annual expense allowance to help cover the cost, but the fact is that when you don't write the check, you probably don't care that your company is getting hosed.  If every SolidWorks user was writing the check for the software, even if they were being reimbursed, I think there would be much more outcry.

Rick Becker

Chris Clouser wrote:

I actually wish companies would require their employees to pay for their own software.

Chris, Where does it end?

Should I buy my own computer?

If I do own the software who owns the IP?

I work at a true Contract Manufacturing Job Shop. Should the machinist be required to buy their own Bridgeports, CNC Milling machines or Swiss Style Screw machines?

How about Carbide End Mills?

Should employees working at an insurance company be required to purchase the software they use? Computers? Desks? Chairs? Pencils?

Should mechanics be required to buy their own Wheel Balancing Machines? How about the computer diagnostic software/hardware to analyze cars?

I can have total ownership of the resources I need to complete my job without actually owning the software. Just like I have total ownership of the designs I put out without owning the IP.

John Stoltzfus

lol - Yes to all of the above and when "You" came up with the new patented design which was made on the machinery you own, the company you work for will want the multi-million dollar idea patented with their name and at the end of the day, you're still getting paid by the hour.......... with no additional bonus's or perks...

S. Casale

I bet a lot of new "users" don't know anything about patents and how they don't get their name on any of them.

Rick Becker

In my experience, patents require names in order to apply. The management may choose the name and leave you out even though you developed the IP, however I don't think that happens very often. Company will Own the patent, you will be associated with it.

Dennis Dohogne

Any contributing inventor must be listed by name on a patent (in the U.S.) or it could be invalidated, though this rarely happens.  I raised a stink here because they tried to leave me off of one (still pending) until I pointed out that they could spend all that money for nothing if they screwed up in such a way.  When a person works for a company and contributes to the invention they must be named, though most companies do not have any kind of bonus or financial benefit for the inventor.  It is usually considered part of your job, but it should bank points for you for a good performance rating.

S. Casale

Any respectable company wouldn't leave an intellectual contributor off of a patent. I know of a few that are not respectable - and they are quite large. No further comments can be added to my previous statements.

Chris Clouser

As Dennis points out, they can't legally leave off any inventors or the patent is invalid.  Of course, this would require someone to contest it.

So they are just potentially hurting themselves by not including inventors.  And in many cases, companies throw extra people in to be sure they are covered and don't have anyone contest it down the road.

The question then being who is actually an inventor.  The law states even those that helped to "reduce the invention to practice", in which case now the waters get really muddy.

I had one patent I was left off of because the company thought that I would then be a part owner of the patent by having my name on it.  therefore the patent is invalid.  Another left me off because I hadn't conceptualized it, but there is no question I reduced it to practice.  Another invalid patent.

So I wonder how many there are that are actually not valid!?

John Stoltzfus

Plus - don't be naive - and let someone talk you into funding and then take it from you - I personally have a real life actual happening horror story when it comes to Patents and I have reached out to a lot of people if I heard anything about a patent process..  There are all kinds of people out there, but show some money or power turns to greed...   Sorry for the rant...

Chris Clouser

John, I feel your pain. 

No disrespect, but I think you're a little confused.

"ALL" patent stories are horror stories to varying extents (although yours sounds pretty bad).

First, if you're unlucky enough to draft the patent, this sucks.

You'll probably be doing patent searches.

Next, you have to deal with an attorney.

Next, you have to deal with the patent office.

You probably will have to generate the graphics for the application.

You'll have to review the application.  Probably multiple times.

Now you've got to deal with an attorney again.

Hopefully you don't have to pay for the whole mess.

Finally, you get to wait like two years plus to find out if you even get it, and that after a few roundabouts with the patent agents.

It's basically a nightmare even if it goes good!!

And then you have your patent, this is when brand-new nightmares can begin if you have to defend it!

OK now I'm depressed just thinking about it.

Andy Sanders

"I actually wish companies would require their employees to pay for their own software. "

Not on my income.  I have 2 kids in college!

Chris Clouser

Andy, if you saw my stipulation, maybe you have an annual expense allotment.  So in the end, it could be a wash, but overall, we would have better results with SolidWorks because I believe it would help people care.

I mean, there are millions of SWX users, but only 23 of us use the forum.

I certainly cared a LOT less until I started paying.